Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resetting notebook no recovery disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeasko

jeasko

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

i have a Compaq mini notebook that's running xp and apparently according to hp when I first used the machine I would have been instructed to make a recovery disk? not sure how as it doesn't have an optical drive.

anyhow it looks as though there is usually a partition in the hard drive for recovery but I have looked at every way possible to see if there is one and I have to say ive never found one, to top it off hp no longer support this model so there is no recovery disk/usb dongle available

what I want to do is sell this on as while it only has xp on it its more than capable of running windows 7 and is by no means a slow machine, but in order to do that I want to properly remove any data off of it to safe guard myself hence the factory reset seemed like a good option, but now I cant do that does anyone have a good way I can reset this thing short of re installing windows, which while I have a disk and a legitimate licence I cant do as the licence is oem and being I want to sell it I don't think a dodgy copy of xp is going to cut it and its not worth the cost of installing a new os

any advice will be welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

These are instructions for the HP mini but it should be the same for the Compaq. Tap F6 at when powering on the comptuer.

#3 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

johnC_21

thanks for the info but if Roxio back on track was on the netbook it certainly isn't now and ive had it from new and don't recall seeing it have tried f6 and it does nothing

so not sure what to do??

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

Go to Disk Managment. Do you see anything called a Recovery Partition?

#5 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

no been to disk manager and don't see a partition at all but this is where it gets weird, the machine in all the specs says 160gb hdd but it only shows 149gb hdd in disk manager which would leave 11gb give or take which would be about right for a recovery partition but I just cant find it

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

That is normal. A 160GB drive will show as 149GB in Windows because there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte not 1000.

1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes   (1024*1024*1024)

1,000,000,000/ 1,073,741,824 = .93

.93 * 160GB = 149GB

http://www.ussscctv.com/harddrivesizecapacitiescalculator.aspx

I was reading the link and it seems there was no recovery partition on the Mini. Only the ability to create a system image using Roxio. I am afraid the only thing you can do now is install either a linux distro or Windows 7 which uses quite a bit of disk space. You can easily go through a 100GB on Windows 7 with no problem. There may be an issue with drivers. Some of the hardware on the computer may not be supported by Windows 7.

#7 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

that makes sense, thanks for the info I guess it confirms what I suspected not what I wanted but at least I know what I need to do

not worth my while spending out on a new os for this just to sell it so guess I'm gonna have to go with Linux or similar

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

Give Ubuntu a try. I think it would work good on that computer. Others are Mint, and Zorin. I have not had experience with it but a poster recommended Deepin and Cylon linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users