Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lubuntu software center

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:07 AM

Hey,

Just upgraded from Lubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. Everything seems to work well except for a couple little things.

Is anyone else having to wait more than twice as long for apps to load from the software center?

Also, with 12.04, I had Unetbootin installed, version 585. I downloaded the newest version, 608, but it won't install. I changed the permissions -- didn't work. It won't let me install using the GDebi installer. It requires  "xdg-open". When I click on that, nothing happens and I can't find anything in the file system.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?  Like I said; the system seems to be ok otherwise, so it's not critical. But it sure is bugging the hell outta me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just upgraded from Lubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. Everything seems to work well except for a couple little things.

I do not Upgrade I do a clean install. To many things can break upgrading.

Also, with 12.04, I had Unetbootin installed, version 585. I downloaded the newest version, 608, but it won't install.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

even with a fresh install software center takes a long time. use synaptic (sudo apt-get install synaptic).

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

use synaptic (sudo apt-get install synaptic)

Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command line utility with a GUI front-end.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 November 2014 - 12:52 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

so? it is still better than software center!

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

Same here, though what I perform is often referred to as a "clean upgrade". Meaning one can keep their /home folder contents intact, but install the main (/) partition fresh. It's not recommended to go from one release to another by a traditional upgrade, even if there's a notification sitting there telling one to click to upgrade (sudo password will be required). It takes much longer, and many things can (& usually will) go wrong. The upgrade download is over 3GiB, while the install ISO is a little over 1GiB. 

So it makes sense in most every way it can be put to perform a fresh install. The same /home partition can be used for a few releases, after a couple of LTS releases it's best to backup one's Data & perform a full fresh install. 

I get much of my software from the Software Center, it's what it's there for. Of course, if one is well versed in getting most of their software via the Terminal, that may be preferable to some, it's just that all of us aren't that knowledgeable to get all of our software in that manner. When I say "us". I'm including myself. Yes I can Google around and do these things, but why do so when the Software Center is there? Plus one may see some useful software that might otherwise not be found. 

Is anyone else having to wait more than twice as long for apps to load from the software center?

Not on my end. I suppose there's a chance that Internet speeds could affect this, but I feel that there's a greater chance that your upgrade install is playing a part in this. 

Here's my suggestion, and I'm taking it you know how to install an OS. Download the Lubuntu 14.04 ISO, use any Unetbootin that you have, and create a Flash drive installer. Clean install that OS, but leave your /home partition as is. By that, be sure to select it as /home, and select ext4 from the drop down list, but do not check the box to format the partition, just click OK. 

Choose your Swap partition the same way, reusing what you already have. 

This is called a "clean upgrade". Your /home folder contents will be left as is (of course it's best to backup items of importance), and you should have a nice clean install of Lubuntu 14.04. 

And the rest should work as it should. Be sure after the install completes & you reboot, to open the Terminal and enable your Firewall. To do so, just type in (or copy/paste) the below bold command & type in your sudo password. 

sudo ufw enable

Good Luck, and please let us know if you need further assistance.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

So nothing I was just explaining what it is. And apt-get is better than synaptic why use a GUI when you have terminal? Experienced Linux users prefer terminal.

Arch Linux .

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

My wizard has been using the same install of Debian for 10 years.... it is not necessary to clean install. That is 5 upgrades in the last decade. Admittedly he is better equipped to deal with problems than "your average bear".

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:59 AM

So nothing I was just explaining what it is. And apt-get is better than synaptic why use a GUI when you have terminal? Experienced Linux users prefer terminal.

I do.  With apt-get you also have apt-cache search, if you learn to use this correctly you have a better tool for finding software than any GUI manager.

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

Sorry Nick. I didn't mean to rile any feathers.

#11 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

So, taking everyone's advice and suggestions, I did manage to get Unetbootin installed.

I then went ahead and downloaded Lubuntu 14.04 to a usb drive.

Not having the skillset, I let the installer do it all and use the entire disk. I have no important files or anything to preserve.

The length of time I mentioned concerning the software center also applies to synaptic. It is very probably the fact that this machine is a 5-yr old netbook. (I'm using to learn about linux.) But even so, it is still slower than when I had the 12.04 installed -- it's really no big deal in the big scheme of things.

I do have one more "problem". Every time I reboot I get a notification -- System error.  It does not seem to affect anything, but it is making me curious. This is what the "Details" says: 

ExecutablePath

/sbin/init

Can you tell me what that means, or where I can find out. I have hunted as best I can in the file system and gedit for anything that would tell me, but as you probably realize by now, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Thanks for the input people. I appreciate it.

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

Hi Altonius

I know just enough to be dangerous.

...some might say the same of me, lol. I blew away Windows 7 a couple of months ago, and am now running 3 distros side-by-side on my HDD. Big learning curve.

If I am correct:

• Your 14.04 is working OK, just coming up with this Error as part of startup?
  • Having upgraded from 12.04, you have some experience with Terminal commands?

If otherwise, let me know.

On the face of it, this sounds like the error has something to do with rsyslog, rsylogd, and rsyslog.conf. The rsyslog daemon gets its configuration information from the rsyslog.conf file. The file is usually located under the /etc directory.

I am running Linux Mint 17 Qiana Mate, but I think it will be the same with you. From Terminal type the following:

locate rsyslog.conf

You may get 3 to 4 entries. The first two will likely be:

/etc/rsyslog.conf  and

/etc/init/rsyslog.conf

If you wish to view the contents of these files to see the difference between them, type

gedit /etc/rsyslog.conf

and enter, once read closing gedit will return you to the Terminal prompt, then

gedit /etc/init/rsyslog.conf

and enter. By not using sudo to preface these commands, you are opening read-only views and cannot make a mistake.

Where does this lead us? Beats me :hysterical: I'm still learning, but the info may help eg Nick or someone else better-equipped to alert you to any dramas.

If it's a given that it is not a fatal error, then it is something you can tweak later if you wish.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited - insignificant comment deleted

Edited by wizardfromoz, 29 November 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

Try turning off error reporting. By editing /etc/default/apport

Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. And Type.

gksudo gedit /etc/default/apport

and then push ENTER (password will be asked).

A file editor is now open. Change enabled from "1" to a "0" so it looks like this:

enabled=1    

To turn it off make it:

enabled=0

Now save your changes and close the file editor.

You can also use

sudo service apport stop 

to turn it off at boot.

w6tlrn.png

See if that fixes it.

Sorry Nick. I didn't mean to rile any feathers.

You didn't. What you stated is quite valid, Synaptics is better than Software centre. All I was doing was pointing out that its just a GUI for apt-get and that terminal is better than any GUI once you get used to using it.

My wizard has been using the same install of Debian for 10 years.... it is not necessary to clean install. That is 5 upgrades in the last decade. Admittedly he is better equipped to deal with problems than "your average bear".

Yes he is,  as I have never used Debian ( Ok Ok I know Ununtu is Debian) or a rolling release I wouldn't know,  I read Linux forums quite a bit and see a lot of busted systems after an OS upgrade and recommendations to clean install, I must try Debian one day.

With apt-get you also have apt-cache search, if you learn to use this correctly you have a better tool for finding software than any GUI manager.

+1

Like I say terminal is your best friend get to know it better and you will finally  "take" ownership of your PC.

Edited by NickAu1, 29 November 2014 - 12:16 AM.

Arch Linux .

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

I agree, the Terminal is one's personal desktop assistant & best friend on their Linux install, however I use a mix of both Terminal & the Software Manager to grab my software. Not that I install a lot of extras anyway, as Linux Mint MATE 17 has a ton on software included. 

It's been known for years that with the Terminal, one has total control over their Linux install, however except for a few things, there's no requirement to use it. The enabling of the Firewall after install though, is a vital action that any Linux user should perform. Non-Ubuntu based Linux OS's may have a different way of performing this task. 

My wizard has been using the same install of Debian for 10 years.... it is not necessary to clean install.

That's the cool thing about Debian, rolling releases. I need to learn how to install one of these, as you know, it's not a Ubuntu type of install, and by default, it wants the whole drive. Really they all do, there's just no obvious way around it, I need to check out some tutorials. My best luck was a VM of Linux Mint Debian, there it can have the whole virtual disk created. 

Some has broken their installs, others hasn't. I suppose like with others, the one whom takes the least chances has the best rate at not breaking the OS. Wasn't too long ago, I broke a Linux Mint 17 install, right here on this forum. Messing with those panels & getting one back like it was, there are no clear tutorials on, and I'm careful when adjusting a Panel item. 

A bit of Linux history here, Debian is the oldest Linux distro there is, and many of today's Linux OS's, though may not say "Debian" anywhere, has some of the pedigree. Though their OS's are sliding in the charts, the backbone is going nowhere. If Debian were to go, so would many Linux based OS's, or their devs would have to find another source. Basically meaning the OS would have to be rebuilt, and it wouldn't run the same. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:14 AM

Well, Altonius, there you have it (from the above), figured the Cavalry would be along sooner rather than later. And with this Post you go Hot, congrats.

I must try Debian one day

You may get your chance sooner than you think

Nitey-nite

:wizardball: Wiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users