Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

I'm doing some computer clean up and uninstalling some old useless programs from the system.

I am using a program that completely removes all traces of the uninstalled program and it seems to be working great.

However, for some of the programs I have uninstalled, the program icon still continues to show up on my desk top.

When I open the icon and nothing happens, is that a good indicator that the program no longer exists? I don't want to just remove an icon from my desk top if in fact the program is still there in my system.

How can I tell for certain if the program is in fact really gone?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:02 AM

If you d-click the desktop shortcut and the program doesn't load, then it has been uninstalled. The uninstall routine doesn't always remove shortcuts unless, during the program install process, it asks if want a desktop shortcut. If you told it 'yes', then when you uninstall that program the desktop shortcut should be removed.

The way to be reasonably sure a program has been uninstalled requires you to first know where it was installed to begin with. Then you go check the path to make sure all folders for that program have been removed.

Edited by ElfBane, 24 November 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

I am using a program that completely removes all traces of the uninstalled program and it seems to be working great.

So why don't you tell us the name of this program?

How can I tell for certain if the program is in fact really gone?

Generally speaking, if it is a program with an installer you can check and see it is not on the list of installed programs in Control Panel→Programs and Features.  On the other hand, is it is a portable program it will be wherever you put it.  For leftovers, you can check in various locations like Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, AppData, etc.

#4 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

The program I am using to uninstall is called "Revo Uninstaller". The programs I am uninstalling were just online programs that were downloaded to my "C" drive.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2014 - 01:07 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes, I know about Revo Uninstaller.  The desktop icon is just a shortcut, you can delete it without any ill effects.

#6 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users