Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dark Theme for Legally Blind

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hootowl323

hootowl323

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hi,  I have a friend that is almost totally blind, but can see through a pin hole in one eye.  The brightness of the screen is much to bright for him.  Even the "high contrast" mode is too bright for him.  I have seen some themes on line that would probably work ok, but they are third party software and I'm not sure how to install them.  

What I have seen is by Deviant and requires UXstyle be installed to get them to work (as well as several other changes). 

Has anyone used these and if so, are there any issues that they cause?

Or better yet, does anyone know of a very dark theme that is made for Windows 8 and easy to install?  

hootowl323

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hootowl323

hootowl323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have now read enough forums to decide not to ever use UXstyle or UltraUXthemepatcher.  Both seem to cause lots of other problems that my visually impaired friend would not appreciate.  

So again, if anyone knows of a dark theme from Microsoft that is made for Windows 8, I'd appreciate a note in here.

Thanks,

hootowl323

#3 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hello, first of all, I am sorry for your friend's blindness. I had myopia and lived with it for two decades. It was horrible, and I feel very sorry for your blind friend.

I recommend you to try their own official "Abstract Dark theme" list. Because I don't trust "free theme" websites. They have ten themes, you should pick the one that suits your friend's needs best.

#4 hootowl323

hootowl323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

Am I doing something wrong, or is it only background pictures in the themes?   When you copy a theme and then apply it, it seems the only thing that changes is the desktop wallpaper.  The windows that are opened are still very WHITE and not very subtle.  Is there a way to make the windows darker and the font lighter? 

#5 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

You should try reading this guide.

#6 hootowl323

hootowl323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thank you NullPointerException.  I read the guide and it all sounds great until you get to the bottom line "you’ll likely run into the occasional graphical glitch or rough edges".  Because he is almost totally blind, if he runs into a glitch he will not know what to do.  He may not even know that he has run into a glitch and get very frustrated.  I'm just not willing to take the chance.  So, my bottom line is, I guess I'll have to write Microsoft and ask them to create a dark background for the visually impaired.  Not that they will listen to me, but I it's worth the try.

Thank you to those who have given advice.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

You have probably tried this, but just in case it got missed . . .  Have you tried using the screen controls to reduce the brightness and perhaps also increase contrast a bit. This would affect everything displayed on the screen.

It might take a bit of experimentation but if you can find a combination that helps it would not cause any glitches and the settings should remain fixed until someone changes them again.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:41 AM

I had a client years ago that was this way and I used a baby car window film that just sticks statically to the monitor screen it worked well. Make sure it's the rubber type film and not the ones that you apply with soap/water. That would ruin the screen of course. However, there are some nice kits out there that you can buy to clip over the frame of the screen to lower brightness, glare etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users