Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homegroup sharing question

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Overn124

Overn124

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

Got a quick question about the homegroup sharing options, getting this answered might help solve a more complicated issue i've been having, anyways;

In the following picture, the folder is shared with "everyone" (the first user is me, blanked out intentionally for privacy), but the permissions say "custom".  

Attached File  rsz_20141123_175423.jpg   129.55KB   0 downloads

Now, was this folder ACTUALLY shared with all users, or would I have to click the drop down list like this: 

Attached File  RESIZE NEW.jpg   149.35KB   1 downloads

and manually add all of those users to the list for it to actually have been shared to everyone?

Thanks!

Edited by Overn124, 23 November 2014 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

If you want to share a folder in Homegroup. You can navigate to it. Then select Share With HomeGroup. Read or Read/Write. In regards to your question, Everyone group pertains to all people logged into the computer. I believe you would want the second option of adding every user to share the folder.

147717.image0.jpg

#3 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks, just want to clarify; the first photo I posted, was that file/folder actually shared with everyone, or would it have remained completely unshared until I manually added each user AND/OR manually clicked the "Share" button on the bottom right?

Edited by Overn124, 23 November 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

Actually "everyone" means just that. User, non user, workgroup/homegroup it doesn't matter.

#5 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

Even with the permissions set as "custom"? 

If thats true, it means that every file/folder I created has instantly been automatically shared with everyone...bad news for me, as i have two mystery accounts that I never created sitting in my users list (made another thread about this), so this means that all my sensitive files have been shared to those accounts all this time  :mellow:

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Those unknown users will be generated by other machines or guest machines accessing shares, but generally they are only from other pc's/devices on your local network. So nothing to be to concerned about. Unless of course you went out of your way to completely make your home network wide open across the guest WIFI or WAN. Those unknown users can be removed but it takes some handy work.

Edited by technonymous, 23 November 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#7 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

How would I go about making my home network completely wide open? (Just want to make sure I haven't already done it by accident).  Thanks.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

The routers NAT protects the local network. Again, you have go out of your way to create a hole to your network. Opening ports forwarding ports or not using a outer at all and having some unsecured services like telnet or ftp or iis file sharing running on the machine etc Those types of things could be exploited on the machine to pivot to other network machines. So if you haven't done anything wacky like that then you're safe.

#9 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ok, haven't done anything like that, haha.  

So that means the two mystery accounts i'm seeing (they both consist of long numbers, and, I recently discovered that those same numbers sometimes appear as the "account name" under the Windows event log when Events 4732, 4733, and a few others occur. no idea what it means) are definitely not anything malicious and/or an outside intruder in my system stealing my files, or anything of the sort?

Just want to make sure :)

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

No it doesn't necessarily mean someone is having a hayday on your network. It's just a local user/pc/other device that accessed the share across the network. You get those ghost unknown file share users floating around in the file sharing list all the time. Yes, when it comes to editing advanced sharing etc then they can be quite annoying. They can be removed, but as said before it takes some handy work to remove them and installing a special tool. You can ignore them and just remove everyone from the file sharing and specify who has access. I would't mess to much with advanced sharing because you can cause damage very quickly if you don't understand the schema of file sharing, parenting, inheriting etc. I highly recommend finding or watching some youtube instructional tut vids before diving into that realm.

Edited by technonymous, 23 November 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#11 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

Okay I see.  Also, is it true that in addition to intentionally going out of my way to open up my network, i'd also have to add the "Guest" account to the share list, and allow it read/write privileges in order for my files to be potentially accessed by anyone on the LAN? I read that allowing the Guest account access is the real "Everyone" option, so I guess the fact that the Guest acc was never allowed access means i'm safe?

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well it's been the norm to disable Guest and Administrator, Guest is used for people who have no user account and is extremely limited and locked down. No it isn't tied into "Everyone" sharing. As an example I have a Windows XP box that can ping and reach another win7 machine that has guest disabled.

As long as the "workgroup" matches and "Everyone" is added to the share. Also, on the Windows machine Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings 'Password protected sharing', must be turned off. 'Network Discovery', 'File and print Sharing' turned on. All of those are set by default once joining or creating a homegroup is done. If not a User account must be made on the system if that is sharing the files. The User/Admin is already able to in Win7/8. Now connecting users on XP works differently than Windows 7/8's Homegroup creation scheme. Connecting XP to XP both machines need exactly same username accounts.

Edit: Guest also doesn't have a password set. However, you can change passwords for Guest and Administrator. It's just a built in limited "kiosk like" user account. In otherwords, it's just way to setup a quick and dirty limited user account for the kids or friends to use your pc without completely messing up your machine and accessing your private files. Since guest has no password then it is a security risk and should be disabled when not in use. Same for Administrator account. The Administrator is activated by safemode unless there is a password changed and in place then you get a pompt. It's an account that you can gain access if for whatever reason the User/Admin is locked out.

Edited by technonymous, 24 November 2014 - 03:47 AM.

#13 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

So to conclude, the "everyone" option only allows all of MY local user accounts on the computer, or within my house (in this case, including two mystery ones <_<) to access the files, and doesn't make your files/system any more easy to be accessed/hacked by intruders, correct?  

And the only way intruders/hackers would be able to access the files/folders you've shared would be if you went out of your way to open up your network by doing wacky stuff, correct?  :)

Sorry if i'm being repetitive, just want to make sure I got everything.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

Correct because as mentioned before about routers etc other things have to be in place, in order for that "everyone" to become a pontential problem or security risk. Also, running anitvirus suite, and patching the computer keeping it up to date with Microsoft Updates is important. If not hackers with hack you 6 times a week and twice on sunday.

Edited by technonymous, 23 November 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:18 AM

I thought I would touch more on sharing to help make more sense out of it. When you right click a Folder and go to 'Share With', or right click the folder and go to properties and to 'Share' button. Those both places controls the permissions for the network sharing. The share permissions are also added to the security tab which overrides all access. The advanced button also has a check box that also must be enabled for the share to work. It is automatically enabled creating a share permission. In 'Advanced Sharing' you can specify even more feature caching, max # of users, add groups etc. The 'Advanced Sharing' & 'Security' tab both control local user access.

The 'Share this Folder' check box is also automatically enabled upon creating a share permissions with the 'Share' button or wizard that opens. Can this be anymore confusing? It will make more sense once you mess with it and create a test share folder to practice on. Another thing you can do under the 'Advanced Sharing' button, is create more File Share names linked to the main File share folder. You could have multiple file names that seem like seprate folders, but are all linked together with different permissions. So... "Boss Joe" might have full access to add files, change permissions, but Bob, Sally and John are mapped to different share names that only have read access to those same files. So the main Folder that is shared Could be named "Movies" but the other users might see "Movies for Bob, Sally, John" with each to their own permissions etc. The beauty of it is that you don't have multiple copies of files & directories scattered all over the place. Everything can be contain in one directory. Hope that helps.

Edited by technonymous, 24 November 2014 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users