Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display distortion, vertical and horizontal lines in photos!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lamborgini444

lamborgini444

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi to everybody
I have a dell Inspiron n5010 laptop and use it for personal works and photo editing as a photographer. when I watch a picture, in some specific zoom levels there are weird vertical and horizontal lines witch create many regular squares in the picture. it's not matter what software display it for me (it happens in every photo browsers I have and even in firefox)
here you can see them (this picture is taken by Prntscr Button):
35053785768283820672.jpg

here you can see that little squares witch is annoying for me as a photographer! these squares goes away if i zoom in more!
but some times squares are bigger like this: (same photo)

50799430194789579046.jpg

as you can see it looks like some sort of distortion!
and here you can see the same photo when it is displayed normally:
66698559113738719878.jpg

my own guess is some sort of GPU problem!
Thank you for your time and help
some of my laptop specs are as follow:

Dell Inspiron 15 (N5010) Laptop
CPU: intel core i5 2.8

GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v
RAM: 4 gig DDR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

First of all - does this happen all the time or when the laptop has been working for a while. You need to figure out if it is an overheating problem, there are temperature monitoring software available online, you can try one of those.   I would say that if it is overheating the PSU would have difficulties efficiently giving power to your components.
This may also be just a software issue. Try updating your graphics card and chipset drivers. You can also try to run a video benchmark test or a game, in order to put stress on the video card and see if the same problem will occur.
As you said - GPU can also be the cause of this, but that's harder to say definitely.

Here is a simmilar topic, with some troubleshooting you can try: 

Hope that was helpful, best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Did this issue always happen or did it just begin to happen recently? The M/N5010 and M/N5030 were known to have problems with failing video chipsets. I am not saying this is the case here yet. I would recommend updating your video chip driver directly from dells website to see if that changes anything. You can find those here by using your computers s/n number which should be on the bottom of the laptop or possibly under the battery (you may have to remove the battery to see the s/n) www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

Edited by zingo156, 24 November 2014 - 11:27 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 lamborgini444

lamborgini444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hello,

First of all - does this happen all the time or when the laptop has been working for a while. You need to figure out if it is an overheating problem, there are temperature monitoring software available online, you can try one of those.   I would say that if it is overheating the PSU would have difficulties efficiently giving power to your components.
This may also be just a software issue. Try updating your graphics card and chipset drivers. You can also try to run a video benchmark test or a game, in order to put stress on the video card and see if the same problem will occur.
As you said - GPU can also be the cause of this, but that's harder to say definitely.

Here is a simmilar topic, with some troubleshooting you can try: 

Hope that was helpful, best regards, Citizen_WD

Thank you Citizen_WD for your time
the problem explained in the like you mentioned does not seems to be like mine
first, the lines do not appear in every picture in my windows! it appears when I watch a photo which is with high resolution and with much of details in it!(for example they would not appear in a mountain and sky photo even if it is a high resolution photo, but would be seen in a high resolution photo with tree branches in it)
second, these lines can be seen in that specific photos every time I watch them but just in some zoom levels! (if I zoom further, they disappear) but I would check it when I turn on my laptop to check the temperature effect.
all of the drivers Are updated and windows 7 64 bit is installed

by the way, thank you for your time and suggestions.

#5 lamborgini444

lamborgini444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Did this issue always happen or did it just begin to happen recently? The M/N5010 and M/N5030 were known to have problems with failing video chipsets. I am not saying this is the case here yet. I would recommend updating your video chip driver directly from dells website to see if that changes anything. You can find those here by using your computers s/n number which should be on the bottom of the laptop or possibly under the battery (you may have to remove the battery to see the s/n) www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

Thank you dear zingo156
I can't say if it just happens recently or not; I did not noticed before (it's about 3 months since I started using my laptop for Photography stuff)
I explained more details in previous reply

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

What photo browsers have you tried using? Have you installed the software that came with the camera and tried that? Since it sounds like this is happening when you are zooming in on the image, I suspect it is either an issue with the software or an issue with the driver related to the video chipset. Since you say it happens in multiple browsers, it might be an issue with those specifically. Have you tried google chrome?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 lamborgini444

lamborgini444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

No I do not use google chrome, but the lines appear when I open that image (or similar one) in different software including: picasa photo viewer, windows photo viewer and Microsoft office photo viewer as photo browsers; zoner photo studio as photo editor; and firefox as web browser. but in all of these softwares the lines (display distortion) appear in the same zoom level

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

I would try getting the newest driver for your video card from dells website: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

Edited by zingo156, 24 November 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#9 lamborgini444

lamborgini444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

I would try getting the newest driver for your video card from dells website: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

I already have latest drivers installed, but as you suggest double checked it by that link (even downloaded dell system driver update scanner and it verified that all of my drivers are updated)
I reinstalled latest graphics driver but the problem still persist! :(
I checked the photo just seconds after windows start up (to check temperature effect and overheating issue as Citizen_WD suggested) but the lines where visible as before! :blush:
any other suggestions?!!

#10 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

It sounds to me the problem is too specific to be a hardware one, or at least not related to the laptop's CPU, Video Card or MoBo. Does this happen with photos taken by you or with all of them? I'm asking this because you may want to be looking for the problem elsewhere - perhaps in your camera or the third party software you're using. Check the same images on another computer, with the same software, on the same level of zoom. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#11 lamborgini444

lamborgini444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

It sounds to me the problem is too specific to be a hardware one, or at least not related to the laptop's CPU, Video Card or MoBo. Does this happen with photos taken by you or with all of them? I'm asking this because you may want to be looking for the problem elsewhere - perhaps in your camera or the third party software you're using. Check the same images on another computer, with the same software, on the same level of zoom. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

no these line appears in other photos too. first time I noticed that was when I was watching one of the photos of my friend on the facebook. (by firefox) I warned him about distortion in his photo but every one (other friends) denied any distortion in the photo.
the interesting point is that I can capture distorted image using PrntScr bottom and snapping tool!!! (as you see in the main post)

Edited by lamborgini444, 25 November 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

Try turning off hardware acceleration in firefox and see if your facebook images still have distortion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users