Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETSTAT.exe Constantly Starting & Stopping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello all:

It's been ages since I've been here, but suddenly I'm having an issue with my laptop, and you folks are always so welcoming.

Anyhow, I've noticed in Process Explorer that NETSTAT.exe is constantly starting, then immediately stopping, over and over again. It's causing the internal fan to speed up, then slow down, making things a bit hot. It doesn't seem to be interfering with any programs or the overall performance; it just won't stop!

Does anyone know about this behavior, and perhaps what I can do about it? It's never done this before.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I installed an app for PLEX Media Server that allows for unofficial plug-ins.

Any help is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:43 AM

Run your AV scans.

DL and run the FREE version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It's an on-demand anti-malware scanner found here ,,, http://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/ .

The Netstat.exe file is sometimes flagged as a virus/malware by AV software. It's a Windows system file and should not be removed. More info on Netstat.exe ... http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=netstat.exe .

It's possible the Plex service is causing this behavior. Does stopping the Plex app fix the problem? You also may have to actually uninstall Plex to see if the problem goes away. Let us know.

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hello.

Installed and ran MalwareBytes. It removed a few cookies and a couple of registry items. So far I haven't seen NETSTAT.exe doing its thing, but I'm keeping an eye on it for the next couple of days. If it crops up again, I'll try shutting down PLEX, and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks for the link about the exe. I did Google it before coming here, and found a couple of sites saying that it should be removed, but I wasn't about to do that without learning more.

I'll update soon.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users