Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noises from HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BMutev

BMutev

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hello guys,

I found this forum by accident and I think I found a treasure... Anyway, I am writing about a problem with my HDD.

I bought a laptop(x75vb) second hand few days ago, and the machine is pretty much new(6 months). Everything works fine

except the HDD. The HDD is HGST HTS541075A9, and the problem with it is that it makes really disturbing noises.

Here's a link of the sound it makes:http://vocaroo.com/i/s03LwhLhHtFr (mouse click = open file). Sometimes that sound is present for few minutes

and then it stops and after that again. At other time it just goes on for a lot longer. And sometimes there's this sound

like the hand with the head/s is retracting, the noise is simmilar like the one from the old printers.

The S.M.A.R.T system says everything is OK(http://postimg.org/image/a5potvxi1/), there is no degradation.

I made a surface test with EraseUS Partition Master and all sectors were green. When I looked over the internet

I found that this sound might be a power saving function for the HDD by Wester Digital which makes the heads park after few seconds of inactivity,

and did some search and deactivated it(i think) 

as this video shows 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQgHqr0U_U

to do it. But after the restart the noise was present again.

And now what comes to mind is that there is a problem with the head/s because I store the OS on this HDD so it shouldn't be able to idle

that much or at all(may be mistaken).

So here am I. If someone has any idea what this might be, please tell me, i'll be really grateful!

Regards,

BMutev

Edit: I defragmanted the hard drive and it seems that the noise went down to some degree. From that I derive that the noise is coming from read/write actions...

I'll have to bear with it I guess. Just my luck. But still i can't agree that this should be a normal sound of a HDD with  900 hours of work hours

Edited by BMutev, 24 November 2014 - 12:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

SMART is not perfect. Many HDDs have failed with nary a peep from SMART. Replace the HDD if you wish, or go to a frequent backup plan (you should already be doing this!) so you'll be prepared for possible HDD death.

#3 BMutev

BMutev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

I see, that's good to know.

About the backup plan, yes I am thinking about doing that. Recently I had an external HDD that got bad boot sector

and I almost lost valuable information. I found software that enabled me to retrieve the important stuff.

That's why I've became quite the fanatic about noises coming from HDD. But truth be told after defragmentation

the HDD became quieter and with the power option being disabled it's pretty silent(not entirely but still...).

Regards,

BM

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hello, 

Did the laptop suffer any physical damage at any point? HDDs in laptops are especially vulnerable if it has been dropped or hit for example. Typically noises from  hard drive, especially clicking like in your case, may be a sympthom of a hard drive malfunction. As @ElfBane said - it's probably best to do a backup of your data and turn to RMA if the laptop is still in warranty.  

Hope that was helpful, Citizen_WD

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:34 AM

Does the drive sound coincide with I/O transactions? (Select Resource Monitor on the Performance tab of Task Manager). If so, you can identify a process creating the drive activity, and by causing deliberate sustained activity, e.g. starting defrag, you can compare if this is the regular seek sound that drive makes.

It's possible that this model drive is just a bit noisy in operation. I've not used Hitachi drives, but Google search suggests people might think of them as not quiet.

Edited by Platypus, 24 November 2014 - 06:35 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 BMutev

BMutev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thank you guys for the replies. I have no information if he has been dropped or anything and the laptop doesn't have warranty .

There are some scratches on him, and it may have happened. I tried what Platypus and the i/o actions do coincide with the sound.

It seems that i got a noisy HDD, but i'll make backups frequently. I'll continue to monitor the HDD and if something new happens

i'll write again. 

Regards,

BM

P.S.

Isn't HGST a Western Digital company? Just curious.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

"HGST is a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Western Digital Corporation"

http://www.hgst.com/about-hgst-storage

Hitachi's 3.5" desktop drive operation was sold to Toshiba to avoid monopoly concerns.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 BMutev

BMutev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

I see, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users