Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download files (have to keep changing settings)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flowerpuff

flowerpuff

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

So I have a PC and have Windows 7. I currently have internet explorer 11 and anytime I try to download a file I always get a popup error saying that my settings don't allow downloads. I have changed my internet settings to enable downloads and it will fix the problem temporarily but every day I have to go and change my settings. Even though I save the settings I still have to enable downloads each time. I'm not sure if this is a IE problem of something with my computer? When this error started happening I also started having trouble opening photos on my computer with windows live photo gallery. I keep getting an error saying the photo is corrupted, damaged, or unsupported (the photos always used  to open before). I have run my computer with malwarebytes to see if I had a virus and some things were quarantined, but the problem still remains.

I'm also not sure how long I've had IE 11...I just checked recently what version I have.

Any help would be appreciated!! thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2014 - 10:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

Open internet explorer ,then press the keyboard combo (alt+x) a window will open
Try to find internet option may be second last
Click and open internet option
Once its opened go to connection click it
Then u will find lan click and open
Please check which box is checked there
For example(automatically detect settings,by pass proxy server etc)
Please try these steps and check and then inforrm me if any option other than automatically detect settings is checked there

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

Uninstall IE 11 and see if the problem is resolved.

Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Click View Installed Updates on the left side of the page.

Let all the updates load, then scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section. Look through the list for Windows Internet Explorer 11. You can then uninstall.

After you uninstall IE will be rolled back to a different version, which should be the one you used before installing IE11.
When uninstall is complete see if you can download.

#4 flowerpuff

flowerpuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Open internet explorer ,then press the keyboard combo (alt+x) a window will open
Try to find internet option may be second last
Click and open internet option
Once its opened go to connection click it
Then u will find lan click and open
Please check which box is checked there
For example(automatically detect settings,by pass proxy server etc)
Please try these steps and check and then inforrm me if any option other than automatically detect settings is checked there

I checked my settings and the only option checked is "automatically detect settings"

Uninstall IE 11 and see if the problem is resolved.

Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Click View Installed Updates on the left side of the page.

Let all the updates load, then scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section. Look through the list for Windows Internet Explorer 11. You can then uninstall.

After you uninstall IE will be rolled back to a different version, which should be the one you used before installing IE11.
When uninstall is complete see if you can download.

I checked my updates and it shows that internet explorer was updated to IE 11 last year in 2013...so I'm not sure if IE is the problem?

If I can't find another solution I will uninstall and let you know if that works!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

If you are having trouble downloading files with Internet Explorer, follow these instructions to re-enable downloads/reset all Security zones to default.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 flowerpuff

flowerpuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

If you are having trouble downloading files with Internet Explorer, follow these instructions to re-enable downloads/reset all Security zones to default.

this seemed to fix my download problem! Thank you very much!

I'm still having trouble opening my jpeg photos and my word/pdf documents. I keep getting messages saying my files are corrupted (but they used to work fine) Do you know if this is a related issue or something else?

Edited by flowerpuff, 26 November 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

Various Ransomware variants which encrypt data are commonly downloaded and seen on systems infected with Poweliks.

1. CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

CryptoLocker is a ransomware program that will scan all physical or mapped network drives on your computer and encrypt files using a mixture of RSA & AES encryption.

Please note that the guide was updated 08/06/14 to include the following information.

FireEye and Fox-IT have released a method of possibly retrieving your private decryption key and a decrypter to use to decrypt your files...To try and retrieve your key, please visit their site http://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/ and enter your email and upload a copy of one of your CryptoLocker encrypted files. The service will then try attempt to decrypt that file using all of the known encryption keys. If they are able to successfully decrypt your file, they will then email you the decryption key with instructions on how to use it.

...from this topic

I want to make something very clear to any users just now getting to this thread because they were infected by "CryptoLocker"! The real Cryptolocker has been down, and has not returned for awhile now! This means that what ever infection you have, is a new one Fake one! Before EVER considering paying for the ransom you should always make it first priority to ask on the thread first or PM any member to ask for help! Things that will help us identify your infection is Screenshots of any windows, The Ransom Note, and the EXE if you have it..

Nathan (DecrypterFixer), Security Colleague Post #3223

2. CryptorBit and HowDecrypt Information Guide and FAQ

CryptorBit (HowDecrypt) is a ransomware program that encrypts any data file it finds regardless of the file type or extension (i.e. JPG, PST, MP3, PDF, .DOC, .XLS, .XLSX, .PPTX, .and DOCX documents). When it encrypts a file, CryptorBit (HowDecrypt) will create a HowDecrypt.txt file and a HowDecrypt.gif in every folder that a file was encrypted. The GIF and TXT files will contain instructions on how to access a payment site that can be used to send in the ransom.

Also see Nathan (DecrypterFixer)'s Analysis, decompilation, and cracking of CryptorBit encrypting infection.

3. CryptoDefense and How_Decrypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

CryptoDefense is a ransomware program that encrypts data files such as text files, image files, video files, and office documents using RSA-2048 encryption, which makes them impossible to decrypt via brute force methods...CryptoDefense will create a How_Decrypt.txt and How_Decrypt.html file in every folder that a file was encrypted. The HTML and TXT files will contain instructions on how to access a payment site that can be used to send in the ransom. Though this infection has numerous similarities to CryptoLocker and CryptorBit, there is no evidence that they are related.

4. CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

CryptoWall is essentially a new variant of CryptoDefense.
- ransom is $1000 USD.
- leaves files named DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION:
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.TXT
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.HTML
DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION.URL

CryptoWall 2.0 uses its own TOR gateways...see Updated CryptoWall 2.0 ransomware released that makes it harder to recover files.

Note: Although CryptoDefense and CryptoWall have numerous similarities to CryptoLocker, there is no evidence that they are related other than that they do the same thing.

5. CTB Locker and Critroni Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

CTB Locker (Critroni, Onion) will encrypt all data files and rename them so that they end with a CTBL or the CTB2 extension.

...Creates a image file called AllFilesAreLocked <user_id>.bmp in the My Documents/Documents folder.
...Creates a text file called DecryptAllFiles <user_id>.txt in the My Documents/Documents folder that contains ransom instructions.

Also see New Critroni variant offers free test decryption and now uses CTB2 extension. Unfortunately, there is still no known method of decrypting your files without paying the ransom.

6. CoinVault Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

...Unlike other recently released crypto-ransomware, this infection does not utilize a decryption site to make payments and download the decrypter, but rather the decryption functionality and payment system are built directly into the malware executable.

Information about other Crypto Ransomware can be found in these topics:

Once you have identified which particular ransomware you are dealing with, we can direct you to the appropriate discussion topic for further assistance.

#8 flowerpuff

flowerpuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure if I have any of these ransomwares? I have not gotten any ransom notifications and I looked through my folders to see if there were any ransom GIF or TXT files but couldn't find any. Should I check some other way?

The errors I keep getting are these:

Windows Live Photo Gallery:

Photo gallery can't open this photo or video. The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted.

(only some of my photos aren't opening up and they used to open fine. These files will not open in any other program like paint either)

PDF Files:

Adobe Reader could not open 'name.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

- none of my PDF files will open with Adobe Reader X

Word Document:

The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open. click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue.

The file Normal cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.

Details: The file is corrupt and cannot be opened.

Word found unreadable content in Normal. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes.

- None of my word documents will open with word and when I open the with notepad I get something like this

jFïÌ—tê'£c¨eôžc@1¾ëêŒ,`,ê¨ïU¤Q[§()G¡ä1ÿQú•ïdÞ>¥«ËéijŽ¯ÝuüÈ4Sè}Kl¬òëCÁ#²Ñ¡‡æŸG‹,+Ø¿Š‚S{HÄ,ýß(üKØÓå¿%"5T[¶ÊD,M#‹cŠ£º€â2ÛØضü&vúâLjÝ×qòW. D€Uy€!ý•ûý TCïU¥"/Heíïé×9ÿ±pö tlýé 2—˜ž(ã"9&;8q5âÃNcÃò—ŒÿýÙ°¹¦X}²ªÓ·]9f

Œ(ÔÎÂ$ÉÛpµPmÚÑfHéåc}¿8kc9—˜—°ûõ.ú84/ag‚ÌÍ;G?Wã{º…z4ƒ
g#Â/l{ÂyŠf<kR!ñVÆPD [Œž–÷˜7q3ZŒp¦ ˆÌ4©AåävÕ*&Òº±3 "fÄë&£ëÃrPþÎ~r+eYz©–@ô9¦IV"ç65ó˜w§ËÄ?x"ÕUÛéº:™

NÆô»–û7g[À)ŠúWÙ‰]ƒ~  ˜Y êB¢øL*íoÀK>

†Etïn»áb!~¤ø›ÆðKõ

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:20 PM

Typically an encrypted file will have no visible readable content (clear text) when you open it with notepad. A corrupted file looks very similar, though the lines are interspersed with fragments of readable instructions when you open it with notepad. You may have a new variant.

#10 flowerpuff

flowerpuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

Typically an encrypted file will have no visible readable content (clear text) when you open it with notepad. A corrupted file looks very similar, though the lines are interspersed with fragments of readable instructions when you open it with notepad. You may have a new variant.

Thank you for your help so far! Do you have any suggestions on what steps I should take next?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have advised our Security Colleagues who specialize in crypto malware ransomware with a link to this topic.

#12 flowerpuff

flowerpuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

I have advised our Security Colleagues who specialize in crypto malware ransomware with a link to this topic.

I searched through more of my files and finally found a txt file. It says its cryptowall 2.0

Here is part of the message I got:

What happened to your files ?
All of your files were protected by a strong encryption with RSA-2048 using CryptoWall 2.0.
More information about the encryption keys using RSA-2048 can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)

What does this mean ?
This means that the structure and data within your files have been irrevocably changed, you will not be able to work with them, read them or see them,
it is the same thing as losing them forever, but with our help, you can restore them.

How did this happen ?
Especially for you, on our server was generated the secret key pair RSA-2048 - public and private.
All your files were encrypted with the public key, which has been transferred to your computer via the Internet.
Decrypting of your files is only possible with the help of the private key and decrypt program, which is on our secret server.

What do I do ?
Alas, if you do not take the necessary measures for the specified time then the conditions for obtaining the private key will be changed.
If you really value your data, then we suggest you do not waste valuable time searching for other solutions because they do not exist.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall & CryptoWall 2.0 is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CryptoWall & CryptoWall 2.0 does and provide information for how to deal with it and possibly decrypt/recover your files. Cryptowall typically deletes all Shadow Volume Copies with vssadmin.exe so that you cannot restore your files form the Shadow Volumes. At this time there is no fix tool for CryptoWall.

CryptoWall 2.0 uses its own TOR gateways...see Updated CryptoWall 2.0 ransomware released that makes it harder to recover files.

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: CryptoWall - new variant of CryptoDefense.

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Thanks
The BC Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users