Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 ... or simply 7 to 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Timeking

Timeking

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

I have a digital audio workstation with a gazillion apps on it.  When I went from XP to 7, it took me months to straighten things out.  I opted not to go to 8 for various reasons, but now realize I should have gone for that $40 deal.  I am guessing that Microsoft might have a similar deal for 10 next year, and would like to be prepared for that.

Supposedly, I could uprade from 7-Home Premium to 8 and keep all of my apps and settings, then go from 8 to 8.1.  However, this same logical upgrade process was not made part of the 7 to 8.1.  Why?  No idea.  So now I am thinking that someone at Microsoft had an epiphany that some folks (me) might have a couple hundred apps on their machine, and the upgrade path from 7 to 10 has been made as smooth (?) as the path from 7 to 8 to 8.1.

So should I try and be prepared for the potentially upcoming promo sale of 10 by moving myself to 8, or just wait and see?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

I would wait and go from 7 to 10. Too many issues with 8 and and 8.1. If you were upgrading to 8, you would go from 7 directly to 8.1

When you do get ready, make sure you create a complete disk image with something like Macrium Free to an external drive.

#3 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

Unfortunately, from all I have read, going directly to 8.1 from 7 means all the apps have to be reinstalled.  It is completely incomprehensible that if Microsoft had the functionality to go from 7 to 8 and NOT lose all the apps, why in the world did they not include that migration functionality in the 7 to 8.1 migration path. 

I will wait and jump to 10, providing they have a promo program for 10.  Otherwise, I'll just wait until Jan 2020.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

That sounds like a good idea. It is what I would do. There was a lot of pain for people that tried to update from 8 to 8.1, especially regarding drivers. If you have a stable Windows 7 system, stick with it. I see no reason to change.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

M/Soft itself has pretty well acknowledged that they are dumping Window 8 and 8.1, thus they jump an entire version# (almost unheard of in the industry) to vs10.  Why pay them to upgrade to an OS they already have thrown on the trash heap? IMHO, you are best sitting tight, and wait at least 6 months after 10 has been released before making the switch. Let everybody else find the bugs and quicksand that may accompany the new version. One man's opinion.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'm running Win 8.1 Update (I got in on the $40 special) and am beta testing the Win 10 technical preview.  I recommend waiting for Win 10 since it will feel more like Win 7 without Aero.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#7 WyKnott

WyKnott

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

I plan on waiting for 10, myself.  I have heard that 8 is a pain in the neck, so I have decided to wait.  I know that every version has its little idiosyncrasies, but 10 will be out before we know it. 

#8 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

It's kind of crazy if you ask me, because MS does not hesitate to announce an OS every two years.

Windows Vista - 2007

Windows 7 - 2009

Windows 8 - 2012

Windows 10/9 - 2015/16.

They should take 6-7 years and make it quality, rather than releasing every OS every two months and preferring "Quantity over quality".

#9 Timeking

Timeking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Microshaft evidently wants your moolah.  The thing that REALLY upsets me is the "migration policy" whereby you lose everything you have spent years setting up, and even after you reinstall everything, many pointers no longer point to the device they once did.  This is especially "fun" when the software-based-keyboard that was formerly totally functioning, now can't be found even though it has been "re-installed".  So this means you either kept notes of everything you have done (unlikely) or you can remember what you did 5 years ago 3 AM in the morning after you had swilled down 11 beers,  Poop.  I am sure I am too stupid to understand the intricacies, but it would seem that the registry values in one version might somehow be transferred to the next version.  Even when things went poorly, at least some things might work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users