Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update fails to install

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Crawfish

Crawfish

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

After help cleaning the Malware and junk from this laptop the windows updates fail to install. I rebooted and retried to no avail. I couldn't find a wi 8 problem like this so I'm asking if anyone can help clear this up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hi

#3 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Okay first check this come on desktop then use rhe combo keyboard (windows+R) then type there inetcpl.cpl and press enter it will open internet properties ,go to connections there and then you will find (lan) click on that and check whether automatically detect settings is checked or not if some other things are checked like by pass proxy server or other one please download hitman pro tool and run it .if you find any difficulty in hitman pro tool like how to run.?plz reply

#4 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi Amendra4all. Sorry I was away. The IE settings were correct and I have no problem connecting to the internet. The HitmanPro found tracking cookies and 2 "clean up" programs used with the advisor who helped me do the clean up just finished Friday.This is the link to that effort....http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556963/ie-11-seems-to-be-hijacked/

I'll try to update but hold no hope. 

#5 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

Well one of the updates did install. The other of the two has disappeared and another has taken it place. And of course Failed to update. Maybe I just need to delay updates for two days. :>)

#6 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:25 AM

Are you able to download any file from internet or you getting error while downloading

#7 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Ah yes-no issues there. The computer seems to be doing OK.

Searching on the net produces several instances of update woes with Win 8. 

So I'll keep an eye on updates delaying as needed to let others "test" the waters

Thanks anyway Amrendra4all..

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

What error message are you receiving when the update fails?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hi DC3-- Thanks for stopping in.  I had to take a break.

I just tried to update since I have been away from the laptop. There were two available after clicking on "check for updates." One installed and the other failed.

"Error code 8007173B. Windows update ran into a problem."  The update that failed (for the third time since 23 Nov" is KB2989647.

The first  error code I had was 8007000D. That was for KB2954879 which did install finally on the 23rd after mulitpule attempts on the 20th & 21st 

Edited by Crawfish, 29 November 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

Download the System Update Readiness Tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:47 PM

G'Day ---am downloading the KB947821 for Windows server 2008 R2 x64 as that seems like the best choice.

Well read the instructions and was installing and got the Windows box that told me "The update is not applicable to your computer." 

Edited by Crawfish, 30 November 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

You have Windows 8, not the Server 2008.  That's why you got that message.

Did you run the System Update Readiness Tool?

#13 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi dc3    Yes I went back to the "system update readiness tool" page and re examined the choices. None for Win 8 nor Win 8.1 64 bit.

I clicked on the "get help with this error" and downloaded the WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab. I ran the tool and the results showed 3 fixes. 

1) Services registration is missing or corrupt                                                       Fixed

2) Windows updated error 0x8007321B(2014-11-30-T-12_05_16p)                   Fixed

3) problems installing recent updats                                                                    Fixed

Reran windows update and failed again giving Code 80246010. Arggg

#14 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

oops --just reread you last post and no I tried to run the one I downloaded and got that windows box notice. Let me look again for a link to download the right one.

Hmmmm---not seeing a download link for win 8 or Win 8.1.  8.1 is the one I am trying to fix.

Edited by Crawfish, 30 November 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#15 Crawfish

Crawfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hot on the trail now. Went to the Download center and did a search for the tool for Win 8.1.. Downloading and will run asap.

Ah so --got the download and when I looked at the NAME, found I had a training document for IT's called "win 8.1 users Readiness toolkit.zip."

So again I clicked the link you provided for the System Update Readiness Tool and cannot find the one for 8.1. 

What do you suggest---to find this tool. 

Edited by Crawfish, 30 November 2014 - 03:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users