Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading toshiba satellite a305d-s6848

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skinzy98

skinzy98

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

so my family owns a toshiba satellite a305d-s6848 and instead of buying a new computer i figured i would just upgrade this one. i would to start out buy upgrading the ram, processor, and hard drive. It currently has the stock turion 64 x2 tl-60 processor, 3 gb  of ram (does not feel like it, it is constantly lagging and i wipe this computer pretty often), and 200 gb of hard drive. What are some recommendations for processor upgrades? are there any compatibility rules like pin numbers? what about for ram? For hard drive i want to get at least 500gb but any compatibilty rules or recommendations? Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skinzy98

skinzy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

GM690MC. that is the mother board number but im still having a hard time figuring out whats compatibility

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

I never heard of anyone upgrading the cpu in a laptop before. Do you know how to do all that, disassembling the laptop, putting in the new cpu, cleaning off the old thermal paste, applying new thermal paste etc. Apparently the cpu is a socket S1, and there are 4 revisions, so you would need to make sure your new cpu is compatible. The only way your plan is worth doing is if it's all cheap enough, otherwise you might as well buy a new laptop, and I doubt that you can find stuff cheap enough for this to be worth it. There may also be power considerations, like I'm not sure if the laptop has enough power to support the faster cpu (and you can't do anything about the power supply in a laptop).

The maximum ram is 4 gigs (presumably 2x2 ddr2 laptop ram)

Fastest hard drive upgrade you could get is an SSD.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

Original Specs

Worth A Read

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users