Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Static noise, electricity and grounding.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marcodaz

marcodaz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hello all,

I've had this problem for quite a while now and I can't seem to find the source. 

Noise:

This guy explains it quite well (1st post): http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?135917-HELP!-Computer-makes-static-noises-when

The sound varies in pitch and goes crazy when I watch video or play a game (raising volume so that the game or music cancels the sound out is what I'm doing now to prevent me from going insane).

I suspect the problem is my amplifier since the noise is gone immediataly when I turn it off.

This is my audio setup:

PC

|

USB Behringer U-PHONO UFO202

|

red-white tulip audio cable

|

Numark DXM06 Digital mixer

|

Red-white tulip audio cable

|

Skytek SPL 500(watt) amp

|
Stripped audio cable (no jacks)

|

Magnat Monitor 2000 speakers

Some cables are crossing (interference?) so that might be a cause of the problem, but there's more.

This is my PC electricity situation:

Not grounded wall socket ( :( )

|

Remote controlled switch for wall socket

|

Techno Line power consume meter (or so)

|

Cable to an electricity socket bar

|

Power cable to PSU

Buzzing

The second thing is also quite annoying. I'm a streamer on Twitch.tv so I use my headset/microphone a lot. Recently I had to switch to the microphone built into my webcam because there is a lot of buzz through the mic (low humm) when I use my USB Headset. I could work around it by using a noisegate that opens the mic whenever a certain volume is reached (by speaking), but that doesn't work anymore since the buz is there constantly.

Grounding

I think this has something to do with grounding because whenever I touch my PC the buzzing gets less. I even had a small copper cable (video below) attached to my PC and to my radiator. That way the buzz was almost gone (still static through speakers though). However that workaround doesn't really work anymore and I don't want to play around with workarounds anymore.

I was pretty much shocked (no pun intended) to see what happened when I connected the cable, attached with tape to a slightly scratched part on my pc, to my radiator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnPHD6-E8WA

What'd you do to try to fix it?

For the buzzing: I replaced my PSU, Blew out the dust, checked for faulty cables hanging on the motherboard/pc casing, tried a different USB port (for the buzzing), Reinstalled windows (not really to fix this, but still).

For the Noise: See above, also reconnected powercables, tried putting the powercable and audiocable apart from each other wich was quite hard to do with this setup so might have failed there.

Other thoughts

Reading this makes me feel a little bit stupid. I think the problem is in all the things I just mentionned. The whole system and set is probably all wrong, but there might also be a different problem wich might explain random slowness of my system, random crashes, not being able to boot up in 1 try and such. It's probably all 'connected'.

Edited by marcodaz, 23 November 2014 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Video was set to private. Should work now!

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

No ground at the wall socket can cause all sorts of issues. Main one being getting shocked by touching the case of your pc, may not be enough to kill you but why take a chance? Do you have a volt meter, try seeing how much voltage shows up between that blue wire and your radiator. I would get that fixed pronto.

#4 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've bought a volt meter yesterday and checked. 6.5 volts running through. I can indeed feel the tingling when touching the case at some places.

I've tried to plug my pc in a grounded extentioncord to my kitchen (where there's only grounded wall sockets), but that did not seem to fix the issue with the case, noise and buzzing.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

It's hard to give electrical wiring advice to someone in The Netherlands because of different civic codes and such,,, but you need to either have the electrical system in the building properly grounded (impractical and expensive, I know) or ground the PC case to electrical outlet. You can try running a wire from the metal structure of the outlet to the PC case. Once you get rid of the 'tingling' you feel on the PC case, then other peripherals connected to the PC can/may pick up the ground, which should do much to eliminate the static and RFI.

Take note that any peripherals that need discrete power will also need to be grounded ... so you may wind up with a spaghetti of ground wires on the floor.

But your best bet is to get a local electrician to take a look at the setup in your building and give advice ... he/she might do it for a couple of beers. An added side benefit may be that the building is out-of-code, and the landlord (if there is one) will be "encouraged" to bring the structure up to code.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ElfBane, 27 November 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Somewhere along the audio chain, from the source inside the PC, the jack and connectors along with every cable from the PC to the amp.  Being that it can be over-ridden with content suggests the final stage input to the amp.  I have seen some wild effects with mixed power sources and "not quite ground" power strips.  Mixed three and two prong power cords can create a ground loop that can even be affected by touching the chassis.  That could help to find the offending device.  I have also seen a couple socket mounted AC adapters  develop loose cores and made the devices crazy.  Audio cables, both the digital lines inside the PC and external cables need to be kept away from any other cables or power cords/outlets to prevent induced signals.  This applies to all CRT type monitors and the larger plasma sets as they use higher voltages and create larger magnetic fields.

#7 marcodaz

marcodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thanks! I'm sorry for the late response, been doing lot's of stuff lately. I'll try the things you've come up with and let you know if it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users