Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to change the bios boot order for Puppy linux on USB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hi

I read the article about installing Puppy Linux on Xp with interest and i would like to know the following.:-

all desktop icons, start menu, task bar is missing from Win XP

1) I downloaded the ISO as suggested and burned it to CD-RW disc using 'IMGBURN', the process completed sucessfully,

I tried to access the files on the disc but i couldn't open any files 'it stated that Microsoft Office Outlook was not activated'

2) I loaded the disc and tried to reboot but I kept opening in Windows XP, i assume because i need to change the boot order 

but not sure how to.

3) If I finally manage to do it (with your help) will I have to constantly change the Bios boot order to access one or the other

O/S or will it revert to XP once i remove the Puppy Linux disc or USB.

4) I am not a whizz on computers and love my XP and am very cautious about ruining the installation so I need your help

guys and gals with step by step instructions.

Thanks to all of you at BP.

Regards

Rozzer

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2014 - 01:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

When you change the boot order in BIOS, the BIOS will look for the first device attached. If there is no USB flash drive or CD/DVD in the tray BIOS will move down the list until it finds a bootable device which will be the Hard drive and then boot XP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 November 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I tried to access the files on the disc but i couldn't open any files 'it stated that Microsoft Office Outlook was not activated'

I don't understand how you could get a message about Microsoft Office Outlook if you are trying to access a Puppy Linux disk.  That's not logical.  Are you sure you burn the correct ISO?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi

I read the article about installing Puppy Linux on Xp with interest and i would like to know the following.:-

all desktop icons, start menu, task bar is missing from Win XP

1) I downloaded the ISO as suggested and burned it to CD-RW disc using 'IMGBURN', the process completed sucessfully,

I tried to access the files on the disc but i couldn't open any files 'it stated that Microsoft Office Outlook was not activated'  Did you burn the Image or Copy?

2) I loaded the disc and tried to reboot but I kept opening in Windows XP, i assume because i need to change the boot order 

but not sure how to.  When you start your pc you will see the options on the startup screen, mine is F10.

3) If I finally manage to do it (with your help) will I have to constantly change the Bios boot order to access one or the other

O/S or will it revert to XP once i remove the Puppy Linux disc or USB.  Yes it will revert, refer to JohnC_21's post.  But also remember not to boot from another disc that is not meant to boot from omg lol, I'm not sure what would happen but it could spell trouble.

4) I am not a whizz on computers and love my XP and am very cautious about ruining the installation so I need your help

guys and gals with step by step instructions.

Thanks to all of you at BP.

Regards

Rozzer

Another thing, you don't need to burn an ISO to a CD/DVD to make a LiveUSB, that is what your topic said.  There is also a section for just this right underneath the "Linux&Unix" Thread called "Live Linux".  You might as well keep this Thread here now though.

Don't worry about accessing the files on that Disc.

Here is the Link that you wanted to post in your first post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556719/all-desktop-icons-start-menu-task-bar-is-missing-from-win-xp/?p=3543263

Keep the questions coming, pcpunk :welcome:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

You might also want to look at this thread, it isn't a good one but it is the only recent one that I've followed: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556733/how-can-i-change-my-operating-system-from-windows-xp-to-linux/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

I don't understand how you could get a message about Microsoft Office Outlook if you are trying to access a Puppy Linux disk.

I bet the Op tried opening Puppy Files from within Windows.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Yes+1

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

I loaded the disc and tried to reboot but I kept opening in Windows XP, i assume because i need to change the boot order 

but not sure how to.

What type of PC is it? Normally to access BIOS you would tap one of the function keys or ESC or Delete key straight after you hit the power on button.

Let me know and I will see if I can give you the correct instructions.

Another thing, you don't need to burn an ISO to a CD/DVD to make a LiveUSB,

Correct, You just download the ISO then use UNetbootin ( Personal choice) to make the Live USB. The only reason you would burn it to CD is if you wanted a Live Boot from CD.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 November 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#9 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hi all

Well it sure seems i made plenty of mistakes and i was just trying to follow JohnC-21 instructions, obviously i was doing it wrong, I will try to answer your questions.

Agouti... After i burned the disc i opened the d:drive to view what was on the disc and there was about 8 or 9 files, the first 1 was a boot file which i couldn,t access the 2nd was a boot file in a mail icon folder as were the next 2 help files also in mail icon folders, i changed the 'open with' to view the help files and it was basically stuff about f2, f8 & other functions. lupu-528.005.iso is the one i downloaded (i have since erased the disc)

pcpunk...I did burn the image using 'imgburn' and i have since discovered to get to my BIOS is the 'delete' key.. i must admit booting from the new disc is what i was trying to do and thats why i wanted to change the boot sequence.....I told you i was dumb lol!!!!. I thought i was following the instructions correctly from the link 'For XP I recommend you download Puppy linux 5.2.8.'

NickAu1...I did try to access the files from within my windows xp like i said so i could see what was on the disc or if there was an exe. file or something.

I have a desktop Windows XP Pro, 32bit, SP3 (with 70 gig free space)... I was intending to make what i thought was a 'live boot from cd' as i didn't have a flash drive available, I have since cleaned and formatted my 512mb flash drive so i can try and make a Live USB, not sure if that will be big enough and i have already downloaded to my desktop the ISO Image  lupu-528.005.iso which is 132mb.

I hope i have answered your questions well enough and really do appreciate your help but my intention is not to lose my xp installation in any way as i use it religiously daily, i would like to try out Puppy Linux and use it for the internet etc.

Thanks once again all and 'be gentle with me' LOL

Rozzer

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

I have since cleaned and formatted my 512mb flash drive so i can try and make a Live USB, not sure if that will be big enough and i have already downloaded to my desktop the ISO Image  lupu-528.005.iso which is 132mb.

I have never installed to so small a USB.  Have you got a 1 Gb stick, You know you can also burn it to CD?

lupu-528.005.iso

That's 2 years old from what I can see.

my intention is not to lose my xp installation

No Problem.

i would like to try out Puppy Linux and use it for the internet etc.

Can I give you some advice?

Try Tahr Pup you wont regret it.

http://youtu.be/NAGTHd1k6YE

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Download the Tahr Puppy ISO then follow these instructions.

How to Install Puppy Linux onto a USB Flash Drive Without a CD by Brite

Edited by NickAu1, 24 November 2014 - 03:18 AM.

#11 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:42 AM

Hi NickAu1

I have to be honest I am getting more confused by the minute 'Another thing, you don't need to burn an ISO to a CD/DVD to make a LiveUSB, that is what your topic said.  There is also a section for just this right underneath the "Linux&Unix" Thread called "Live Linux".  You might as well keep this Thread here now though'. from pcpunk. and yet you say i can, which is what i did in the first place and have since removed it!!!!.

Thanks for the other link i will try it out but not so sure now about the flash drive as it may be too small, i may have to buy another one.

Thanks again

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the other link i will try it out but not so sure now about the flash drive as it may be too small,

Try it out anyway.

To make life easier on you, Just click this link, This is the ISO you need.

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:56 AM

Does the BIOS have the option to boot from USB? Most computers seem to, but neither of mine do, so I assume there must be some other computers out there that don't boot from USB either.

For some reason even 1GB USB flash drives don't work with Puppy save files, so I would get something bigger than that if you're buying a new one.

I would also suggest trying TahrPuppy, but if you decide to go for Lucid then I would go for the latest version which is 5.2.8.6

#14 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi NickAu1 & AI1000

NickAu1...Thanks for the link, i will download it to my desktop in the meantime as i think i need to get a bigger USB Flashdrive anyway.

AI1000...I will take your advice and get a bigger Flashdrive and try again.

The BIOS does not have the option to boot from USB so does this now pose another problem!!!!!!.

I just have 1st boot device .......Hard Disk Drive

2nd boot device ..... CD/DVD Drives

Thanks again

Cheers Rozzer

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:32 AM

The BIOS does not have the option to boot from USB so does this now pose another problem!!!!!!.

Not really ,  You just boot from CD.

@ Al

I wonder if a Bootable USB needs to be plugged in for the bios to give you that option? I had an old HP Laptop 8710w Intel Core 2 Duo that was like that. Unless the usb was set as boot the option to boot from USB was not shown as an option.

rozzer

What are your PC specs?

Edited by NickAu1, 24 November 2014 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users