Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Schiller

Craig Schiller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

I'm Craig Schiller, a CISSP-ISSMP, ISSAP with 26 years of IT experience, most of it in information security. I came to the site looking for antihookexec.exe, a utility that was recommended in the book Winternals from Syngress. I wrote the chapter on network troubleshooting in the book but I was reading the other chapters and found the reference to bleeping computers.

I found it odd that I could only get to the file by going directly to the file in my browser. I couldn't find a link or menu item that would take me there. Do you have other useful utilities available?

Edited by Craig Schiller, 17 June 2006 - 09:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

Hi Craig. I was one of the other authors (Lawrence Abrams) of Winternals as well :thumbsup: I wrote Chapter 4 on Computer Monitoring.

The correct place to get antihookexec is really :

http://www.security.org.sg/code/antihookexec.html

The above link contains the C++ source to this file as well. I mirrored it here as there were some scripts (not sure if they ever made it out of production) that were using it as part of their method to remove various rootkits. Thats why there is no extra info on it here at BC.

As for other useful tools, nothing else really comes to mind other than the various homegrown tools that the anti-malware people who frequent this site create.

Welcome to the site btw :flowers:

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Welcome to BC Craig,
Hope you can help some of us out here when needed
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users