Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2012 Remote Desktop printing error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zack2213

zack2213

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

I have a POS system trying to print a 40 column local printer on an application running on Server 2013 remote desktop.

Installed the printer locally and it works.

The driver the printer is using on Server 2012 is the easy print driver.  I am trying to install the same driver on the server and I get the below error:

"Couldn't find the system file"

"The system cannot open the path specified specified"

The printer works, but runs very slowly and formats it in an 8x11 format, I believe it is because of the easy print driver.

Any ideas on why I cant get this driver installed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

If you go to Event Viewer on the server, are there any error logs that might provide some details?

Does the user account you are using to try to install the print driver have the proper admin rights to install drivers on the server?

#3 zack2213

zack2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

I have gotten the same error even when installing with the administrator signed in.

Looked at event viewer nothing jumped out. Is there a specific path to look?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

Look under System logs in Windows logs. In particular, keep an eye out for errors and warnings, but it may be a simple information log entry. Filter the results around the time you tried to install the driver.

#5 zack2213

zack2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the input.  While trouble shooting this I got a different brand printer and installed the printer driver on the server with no error.

The printer driver on remote desk top shows the Easy printer driver.

I disabled easy print driver in the server but it is still not loading the actual printer driver.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'm not clear on what happened. So you were able to install a driver for another printer on the server? Is that other print driver working?

It may be the print driver you tried to install for the first printer may not be compatible with Server 2012.

According to Microsoft, if the session host will try to use the easy print driver first during remote sessions. if you want it to use the other printer first, you'll need to change the group policy setting. This applies to Server 2008 R2, but I believe it applies to 2012 as well: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732264.aspx

#7 zack2213

zack2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Sorry to not be clear.  Yes the new printer driver worked, I was able to install it.  I believe the problem is in the driver itself and I will be contacting the manufacture tomorrow.

With that said, I had another brand printer and I successfully installed it both locally and on the Server.  I went into computer configuration and disabled the easy print option.  That setting says it will look for a matching driver first, but when I go the printer properties on remote desk top the driver still shows easy print.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong to not use the actual driver installed vs the easy print.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Changing the group policy on the server didn't work? Can you go into printers and change the default printer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users