Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not power on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dpm

dpm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

I have the most basic computer knowledge so I don't even know if my question can be answered here. I have a laptop (custom built for my employer) which will not power on. The power supply is good; the power lights stay on when it is charged and/or plugged in. However, when pressing the power button, nothing happens...the fan does not start, the other lights do not power on, and the screen does nothing at all. I have been told that this is a common problem with laptops, however I don't want to take it back to my office for repair and cause my employer to think I've misused/abused it it some way.......I haven't.

Any advice?

(Moderator edit: new thread started in more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 17 June 2006 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

It could be a few things, but try holding down the power button for around 8-10 seconds and see if it starts up after that!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

The battery may be bad or the power supply in the laptop may be malfunctioning.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Maybe the power button is bad?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 dpm

dpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

Thank you both for your replies! Holding the power button down doesn't help, even though I'll admit I was gentle about it for fear of damaging it further. I also wondered about Enthusiast's suggestion about the battery, but was wondering if a dead battery could keep the ac power from working properly. A dead battery could very well be possible as the unit isn't new, but it hasn't been used much as certainly looks new. I just wasn't sure that a good battery was essential given that it has ac power. Also, as I mentioned, it's getting juice from somewhere because some of the lights do function, and continue to do so after it is unplugged, leaving me to believe that the battery is also functioning (the lights go out after several hours of battery/only).

Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter :thumbsup:

#6 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

This just happened to me, actually. What I did was unplug it, then take the battery out, plug it in again, and power it on. if it comes on, turn it off, then put the battery back in, and turn it on again!
Hope I could be of some help!

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:43 AM

The laptop will still function if the battery is dead if it is plugged into the wall,so i doubt it is the battery.Is it producing and sounds ie, fan or hard-drive? If it is,it may well be an issue with the screen. Lets us know how shiftplusones idea goes for you. If still no success. Lets us know what laptop it is. What you may try is to use google,type in the make and model of the laptop and search for trouble shooting guides. (the model name should be under the laptop on the makers sticker or in the left hand corner on some makes,just under the screen.)
If you find a guide and it sounds a little too risky,post here first and let us know what it suggests to do.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users