Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD not detected when installing windows

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 K12RiV

K12RiV

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

My HDD has been working for years now and i had it erased to reinsall windows 7 but when i try it says select the driver to be installed, and a window pops up saying load driver: a required cd/DVD drive device driver is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD DVD or USB flash drive please insert it now. [Browse] [OK] [Cancel]

i do not under stand why this is doing this so i booted up a flash drive with linux mint on it and tried installing it to the HDD but i got an input/output error and it closed the install. the HDD has been formatted, cleaned in DISKPART and repartitioned and it still wont work. my MOBO detects it fine and bios is in default settings. the iso i used it good and ive tried re burning it to my usb. since thats what im using to load with. 

My pc is several years old and i doubt my HDD is dying of old age since the S.M.A.R.T stuff said it was in good condition. it does have over 2 years of power on time tho..

I AM NOT USING USB 3.0

my HDD is a Hitachi HDP725016GLA

please help

Edited by K12RiV, 22 November 2014 - 11:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

What is the make and model of the computer or if custom built the MB.

Is this an OEM Windows 7 disk that you got with your computer purchase or is it a full retail disk with key?

If it is a full retail disk then you can download your iso version here and use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive as outlined below instead of Mint.

Here are the steps shown for a clean install of Windows. Where in the steps did you get "select the driver to be installed a required cd/DVD drive device driver is missing"?

How was the drive erased? Did you wipe it will zeros? If it was not wiped, I would download the bootable version of Partition Wizard and wipe the drive with quick zero fill.

Download Mint 17 if you have not done so. After downloading check the MD5 hash.

Here is the page for Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" - Cinnamon (64-bit) and included the MD5 hash.

Download and run Rufus. Opt out of any update check. Select MBR for the partition scheme. Select Iso image in the dropdown box that shows FreeDos as default. Browse to the iso file you downloaded. Press Start.

See if you can install linux. From your error, it looks like the optical drive is bad.

#3 silentmonolith

silentmonolith

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Whenever Windows does not detect the HDD, I look in BIOS for the "AHCI controller" option - If I see it, I disable it.

#4 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

I tried installing Linux mint 17 and I got the I/o error but I'll check the partitioner

And my bios doesn't have an ahci setting

#5 silentmonolith

silentmonolith

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Try and run a hard disk repair/testing utility  - Hiren Boot CD has a few or try the SpinRite utility (self creates a bootable CD)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

Set the DVD/CD drive as the first device in the boot order, the hdd the second device and try the disc again.

If you follow JohnC_21's advice and you are using a computer with Windows 7 to create the bootable disk you don't need to download a program to burn the ISO to a disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:16 AM

okay i do not have disks that is why i am using a usb drive i used the boot partitioner and quick zeroes and i managed to get linux mint installed but when it boots i cant use it but i get freezes and when i open the browser (firefox) i freeze then get a severe graphical gliche and only way of recovery is restart. windows it still being stupid and asking for drivers. example, i boot up windows installation and click begin setup and it askes for drivers, so i cant get any where with that. so i now have a giant paper weight.. ill try a new windows 7 iso file from digital river. maybe its just corrupt since rufus wont create a bootable image and power iso says 'unsuspected end of file' but still makes it bootable. 

it doesnt make sense cause there isnt and will never be drivers for my HDD. i find this funy since two days ago win 7 was working fine i just wanted a fresh install to remove all my data and any PUPS.

(i was also using 150 gb of 160 lol) 

any help with why linux is crapping out or why windows is behaving this way would be ppretiated,  if it wont work ill just use my external HDD as its new hard drive.  which would decrease its memory by half.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

Create a bootable iso and do a Memtest. Let it run overnight. If that passes create a bootable Seatools for DOS and do the long test. You may have to change BIOS from AHCI mode to IDE mode for Seatools to detect the Drive.

Seatools Tutorial

Seatools for DOS user guide

What is the make and model of the laptop. Windows 7 may be looking for the Mass Storage Drivers of the MB chipset in order to detect the Hard drive. But because of the issue you are having with linux and the Windows installs, I think you are having some kind of hardware issue.

#9 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

last night i redownloaded the win7 iso for home premium and i tried installing via usb and i didnt get the drivers error message instead i got to the menu where you select the install location ex. disk 0. but i have a caution icon at the bottom statint that windows cannot be installed here and says something about it not being bootable and to check the controller setting in the bios. the setting are fine and there is no AHCI setting in bios

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

If you installed linux mint and did not wipe the drive again, you may get that error. Use Partition Wizard to do a quick wipe and then try the USB Windows install.

Instead of a quick wipe you could try deleting all partitions in Partition Wizard and try the USB Windows. If that does not work than do a Quick Wipe. Make sure you are doing this on the correct disk as this wipes all data.

#11 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

If you installed linux mint and did not wipe the drive again, you may get that error. Use Partition Wizard to do a quick wipe and then try the USB Windows install.

Instead of a quick wipe you could try deleting all partitions in Partition Wizard and try the USB Windows. If that does not work than do a Quick Wipe. Make sure you are doing this on the correct disk as this wipes all data.

iwiped it with all zeroes and still gives me the error

Create a bootable iso and do a Memtest. Let it run overnight. If that passes create a bootable Seatools for DOS and do the long test. You may have to change BIOS from AHCI mode to IDE mode for Seatools to detect the Drive.

Seatools Tutorial

Seatools for DOS user guide

What is the make and model of the laptop. Windows 7 may be looking for the Mass Storage Drivers of the MB chipset in order to detect the Hard drive. But because of the issue you are having with linux and the Windows installs, I think you are having some kind of hardware issue.

i downloaded the iso but its not bootable?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

That should be bootable. You try creating a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. If that does not work download Parted Magic. Burn the iso file. Boot to the PartedMagic Desktop and double click the Disk Health icon. Do the short and long test.

Edit: Did you run the Memtest+ memory test overnight?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 November 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

This question is regarding the Linux install.

input/output error and it closed the install.

Was it this?

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

#14 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

That should be bootable. You try creating a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus. If that does not work download Parted Magic. Burn the iso file. Boot to the PartedMagic Desktop and double click the Disk Health icon. Do the short and long test.

Edit: Did you run the Memtest+ memory test overnight?

the memtest+ didnt boot when using rufus b/c rufus said it wasnt bootable but i shall tru parted magic now

#15 K12RiV

K12RiV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

This question is regarding the Linux install.

input/output error and it closed the install.

Was it this?

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

i cannot remember but after zeroing the HDD i never saw it again and installed linux but it doenst boot i get a black screen unbuntu 14 ( latest)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users