Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer. Start up/boot very slow. everything not responding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nachos73

nachos73

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Hello,

I was referred to post here from the windows 7 forum,  with my problem since there is a warning showing on the speccy report for my computer which they believe is the main source of the problem.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MzcuTBZF3HP1gYFSP85FccO

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Donato

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

Test the hard drive:

Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen click "Seatools For DOS" link, then accept the Eula and download. Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. If Seatools reports that it has been tripped that is a bad sign. Next click the upper left corner of the screen for the long test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 nachos73

nachos73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Great thanks!   I will get back to you asap!

#4 nachos73

nachos73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

The Seatools test didn't work.  It said no hard drive found  and no controllers detected.

I tried the toshiba test from the list from the "hardware install and diagnostic tools" on this forum.  That didn't work either it just gave the  model name, serial #, and firm. wouldn't let me run the test.

I ran the hp test that's on my laptop and got the following:

hard disk SMART check - passed

hard disk Short DST -passed

hard disk Optimized DST -passed

hard disk Long DST -passed

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

At this point, go with the HP test results. My suggestion is to make regular image backups twice a month (or more) so you have a safety-net in case HP is wrong and the drive fails. It is especially strange that the Toshiba test would not produce results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 nachos73

nachos73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

Ok thank you for your help!   I really appreciate it!

#7 nachos73

nachos73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

Could recommend a HDD to replace the one I have?   The non-responding messages are getting more frequent along with the delay in operation.

Thanks,

Donato

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

If you have lots of money and want the best speed, I recommend the SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB.  Otherwise, just get a blue or black Western Digital drive. 500gigs, or 1tb if you want more space.

#9 nachos73

nachos73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

If you have lots of money and want the best speed, I recommend the SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB.  Otherwise, just get a blue or black Western Digital drive. 500gigs, or 1tb if you want more space.

Great thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users