Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi being dropped on my Macbook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rcosta

rcosta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Wifi is being dropped on my Macbook (Yosemite 10.10.1).  Here are some details:

1. My Macbook looses wifi regularly in my home.  
  2. When I log back in, there is another network listed ahead of mine.
  3. Other devices in my home are having no wifi problems.
  4. This Macbook does not loose wifi at my job or two public libraries.  Tried them all since this problem occurred.

Any ideas?  Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

Try this:

• open Automator, select Application
  • add a Shell Script item
  • enter the following command in it: ping -i 0.2 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the IP of your router is)

Just save the app, start it and let it run. If this prevents your mac from dropping the connection problem is OS X tries to put the WiFi antenna into a power saving mode if there's no data being sent or received, but with some WiFi APs, this leads to disconnecting. That ping command will ping your router every 0.2 seconds, preventing OS X from turning off the WiFi. You could try changing security of WIFI WPA2-PSK mode to AES as using AES encryption on most Macbook systems that helps with the issue that occurs pretty often.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 K.kent

K.kent

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

Many of Mac users are suffering from this issue of dropping WiFi connection while working with OS X 10.10. The above mentioned solution is bit fine. Moreover, another trick can be used to resolve this issue. If you have already created any new network location earlier; then rather caring of that earlier network location, try to create a new one from the scratch. Goto network panel and choose location menu bar from the above top area. Select ‘edit location’ from dropdown list. Create a new network by clicking on + sign.  From the left pane, choose the desired WiFi and join it simply. At last click on apply button to reboot Mac and get exit from system preferences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users