Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite won't start

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jen42

Jen42

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite l750 laptop. For a while it had been turning itself off randomly, gradually happening more often.  Then it started saying there was a problem with cooling.  I found out how to pull it apart and clean the fan. Did all that. But there was still the random shutting off and cooling error. Then it decided not to start at all. The power light. and running light would come on, but no fan sounds and no screen at all.

Any help will be appreciated.

It's 32 bit, and running windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 silentmonolith

silentmonolith

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

That's one of the reasons I hate laptops - everything (or most things) is built-in the motherboard making it very difficult to replace a damaged part.

Random power reboots/power offs suggest a problem with the power supply. Too bad you can't access the BIOS anymore - I'm sure there was a section dealing with "Cooling" where it would have shown the fan speed and additional controls (increase fan speed,etc)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

Please download and install to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download [url=http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe]MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

The laptop won't turn on at all. I can't download anything on it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Please do the following.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the links below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

Thankyou. I'll work on this in the morning, Australia time.

I'll let you know how it goes

#7 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

The dvd drive wouldn't open without the laptop turning on, so I did the trick with the secret hole.

I tried several times to start it, I could hear the cd turning, but nothing on the screen at all.  

I tried unplugging everything and holding the on button several times.

Do you have more ideas?  I really appreciate your help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Use Rufus to create a bootable Flash Drive of the iso file. When you run Rufus opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the dropdown box that shows Freedos. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file. You may have to set USB as first boot device in BIOS. Attach the USB and power on the computer.

For Toshiba, I believe you can tap F12 at boot and this will give you a boot menu. Select your USB flash drive.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?soid=403623

Edit: When you press Start on Rufus, all data currently on the Flash Drive will be deleted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 November 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#9 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

I just tried a bootable dvd, but nothing shows up on screen. Would this be any different?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

It's possible your Optical DVD drive is not functioning correctly, especially after you posted that you could only open it using the pinhole.

#11 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Damn, don't have a flash drive big enough.  Any more ideas before I buy a larger flash?

What size flash drive will I need?

#12 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

Just to make it clear, I can't see anything on the screen so far, no matter what I do. I've been contacting you through another computer.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

If you boot up and cannot see the Toshiba trademark or cannot access the BIOS screen by tapping F2 at boot then you have a bigger problem. Wait for dc3's reply.

I think you would need a 8GB Flash drive. Don't go out and buy it now. If you are in the States, wait for Black Friday. Staples is selling flash drives really cheap.

http://www.staples.com/Lexar-16GB-JumpDrive-S50-USB-20-Flash-Drive-Blue/product_573625

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you live in Australia.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 November 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#14 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

As I understand this, you can not boot this computer at all.  No fans spinning, no LEDs.

The first thing I would want to do is to establish whether the power adapter is providing the proper voltage.  To do this you will need a multimeter with a DC voltage scale.

The Input and Output voltage can be seen on the power adapter, it will look similar to the image below.  The Input and Output voltages are outlined in red.  The Output voltage for your Toshiba is 19 Volts.

acdcadapter_zpsf4b8ad83.png

Do you have a multimeter, or know someone who has one and would be willing to help you read the voltage?

How far did you disassemble the laptop to clean it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users