Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VAIO Win 7 laptop won't run if battery is installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have a Sony VPCEB33FM laptop running Windows 7, about 4 years old. It started showing a low battery warning and shutting down immediately after booting up, even with the laptop plugged in. The battery tested as fully charged. I can run the computer if it's plugged in and the battery is out, but it shuts down immediately if I install the battery. 

I purchased another battery (used, but supposedly tested and working in a laptop) and had the same issue with the second battery.

A search for Sony VAIO battery issues indicated that this problem could be caused by a problem with the battery, the Sony battery monitor program (which I deleted, didn't help), a motherboard issue, or a problem with the laptop hardware where it connects to the battery.

Is there anything I can do to narrow down the likely cause? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

See if following the steps here work. It could be a bad charger, having enough power to run the computer but not enough to run the computer and doing a charge on the battery at the same time or as the article says, a bad cable.

#3 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Ok, I will try the steps in the article.

One question, though--the batteries seem to be fully charged when tested, and a multimeter says the charger is delivering the power to specs. That would rule out both the batteries and charger as the issue, wouldn't it? 

Edited by WheresMyOS, 24 November 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yes, I think it would if you put a mutimeter to the charger and it checked out has having the correct voltage.

I am not a hardware expert but I did find this regarding correct Voltage but not enough current from the charger. When you plug the charger in does it tend to get hot? If not then I think your charger is good. Here is a video that also talks about it.

Current too low – If the adapter has the correct voltage, but the adapter’s rated current is lower than what the device input, then a few things might happen. The device could power on, and simply draw more current from the adapter than it’s designed for. This could cause the adapter to overheat or fail. Or, the device may power on, but the adapter may not be able to keep up, causing voltage to drop (see voltage too low above). For laptops running on undercurrent adapters, you might see the battery charge, but the laptop not powering on, or it may run from power but the battery won’t charge. Bottom-line: it’s not a good idea to use a lower current rating adapter, since it could cause excess heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users