Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two unknown accounts in homegroup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Overn124

Overn124

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

When I right click on a folder, then go to the "share with" part, there are two user accounts that I don't recognize under the drop down list.  They consist of long numbers.  I've attached a picture.  The first two are the accounts i'm talking about.  One number is 20 digits, the other is 19.  (Third username is faded out intentionally, its just my name)

Any idea what/who these accounts might be?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by Overn124, 22 November 2014 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Have you tried clicking on them to see what folders or devices are being shared through those accounts?

#3 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

When I click on them, it doesn't give me any options besides to switch permissions (from read to read/write or to remove).  I actually turned on my other old windows desktop, went to the same page, and also saw two long number accounts under users as well (diff numbers from this comp obviously).  And my third Windows desktop which I recently built and barely used has the same thing, except there's only one mystery number account instead of two...

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

Those may be devices or service accounts. Are all the user accounts that should be part of the homegroup showing up? If so, try removing the numbered accounts and see what happens.

#5 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

Yep, all users that should be showing up are showing up.  I can remove the mystery accounts from the share list, but they are still always present and never truly gone, I can select them again anytime.  What's more frustrating is that most all of the files on my comp have been being shared to those mystery accounts without me knowing, all along...

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

Check the sharing and access permissions on your folders and files, and if these mystery accounts are there, set the permissions to Deny and see if that interrupts any of your users access

#7 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

Okay, just did that.  None of the other account's were affected.  It might be a silly concern, but do you think these mystery accounts could possibly be malicious? Its just that, all of my very important files have been shared to these two accounts without my knowing for all this time so i'm slightly worried, haha.

Edited by Overn124, 22 November 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hard to say. You're using WiFi to connect your computers -- check your WiFi router to see if any unknown computers have been or are connected. You might also want to run a full virus scan.

#9 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

No unknown computers as far as I can see.  Ran multiple virus scans, nothing found.  I've actually been running virus scans over the past few month, I would occasionally find an infection and remove it.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

It's hard to say what those accounts might be. I'd recommend continuing to monitor file permissions and run regular virus scans, and post back if any further strange activity occurs.

#11 Overn124

Overn124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Okay, thanks for the help!

If anyone else knows what those two mystery accounts are, feel free to chime in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users