Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Retreivers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have several little programs on my flash drive that I use at customers homes when they can't remember any of their passwords, one being the nt offline password editor thing and a bunch of password tools found on http://www.nirsoft.net/

Are there any similar programs and or simple commands in linux? Its not an emergency, but I like to be able to help others in linux retrieve their passwords for them.  (Primarily for ubuntu or any debian based linux )

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 22 November 2014 - 05:10 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

Are there any similar programs and or simple commands in linux?

Yes. This is Linux we don't need 3rd party software to do that, Terminal is your friend yet again.

To fix a forgotten password in Linux Buntu.
Read this
LostPassword - Official Ubuntu Documentation

Or

Watch this.
http://youtu.be/fE1huoUHTa0

This procedure  gives you a FULL ROOT SHELL! You can damage your system if you are not careful!

Edited by NickAu1, 22 November 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Awesome ^-^, good to know.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

Now... is there any way to retrieve passwords stored in web browsers, behind asterisks, or current user without having to do the above and completely change it? I could really use the asterisk type because of many people using their pop3 accounts for 5+ years and obviously having no idea what their password is.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 22 November 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

Firefox, go to Preferences -> Security -> Saved Passwords -> Show Saved Passwords.

Also you could look in.

~/.mozilla/firefox/{ user_profile }

specifically key3.db for the encryption key and signons.sqlite for the encrpyted passwords. (They aren't in plaintext. )

Should I be showing you this?

Edited by NickAu1, 22 November 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

The company I work for wouldn't have 10+ year customers, businesses,  and medical practices if I was the type of person that used this information for the wrong purpose :P.

That and this isn't a big thing, we only have a few handful of people actually using linux because they would bring a pc and want something on it but don't want to pay for windows, and the only legal choice is always linux :P. So when these people or maybe myself have issues, I'll use this as a reference to help them out.

Many thanks, one more thing to add to my how tos ^-^

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

It's ok Im just being silly, All that info can be found using DuckDuckGo

Here's how silly I have been Just out of boredom I booted my Desktop PC from my Puppy Linux usb. Check out the specs. Post # 30

My Puppy Precise doesn't want me to update Firefox. Stuck at 30.0

Edited by NickAu1, 22 November 2014 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users