Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Predrag.Jasic

Predrag.Jasic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Attached File  USB.jpg   66.11KB   0 downloadsAttached File  USB1.jpg   94.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  USB2.jpg   90.44KB   0 downloadsDear all,

I will enclose here my complaint which I send to motherboard maker Gigabyte, regarding USB external hard disk problem. Please read it and if anybody knows how to solve this, thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My computer has external hard drive connected to USB 2.0 port(s), which is extremely slow. Drive is Transcend StoreJet. No drivers exist for it. It works perfectly for other I/O operations like copy, paste, delete,etc. When I try to make hard disk image with any program, and store it on Transcend Store Jet, speed starts with 50MB/s but drops to nearly zero in few minutes. You can see example on attached picture. It is the same with any program. Disk image would take more than one day to complete, if it completes at all. Actually, I never managed to finish image with any disk imaging software. I tried all usual software for that: Paragon, Aomei, Acronis, EaseusToDo, Drive XML, etc. Are there any USB or other drivers which are responsible for this issue? Can Gigabyte be serious regarding its costumers and provide them solution in order to use USB ports for most important thing (backup)? In this case, making disk image is totally impossible. USB 2.0 ports have speed оf 480 Mbit/s, theoretical. This is far cry from situation here. So, USB ports on this Gigabyte configuration is totally useless for backup on external USB hard disk. Clearly, there is serious bug which can cause loss of data - worst outcome in computer use for your customers. NOTE: all disks, internal HDD and external USB are checked multiple times and they do not have any errors. Hard disk has 500GB, only 137GB is occupied. BIOS can see USB disks. It is upgraded to version 4. It is on Safe Default Setting. Computer was in service few days ago and they did't diagnose any faulty component. Please feel free to ask me for further questions if needed. But this issue has to be solved URGENTLY! PS I could not open the case of mu computer to see Serial No. and Power Supply since it is under guarantee and that is prohibited. Again, please be URGENT!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2014 - 08:54 PM.
removed poll as it had nothing to do with the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

This could be any issue causing your problem , software , usb drive may have errors on it / or ?

Imaging your 150 Gig via Usb will take time { Mine are about 40-50 Gig } Operating System And Programs Only.

I personally partition my main Drive eg: c:\ and d:\ and so only the operating system is on C;\

Then use the D;\ to store your personal files. , this way your c:\ wont keep growing in size as you are storing everything there.

If you cant actually do anything with the computer because of warranties as you stated "just serviced" , ask them why you cant Image Drive.

Options:

1/ Try another hard drive to backup to.{ Usb will always be slower } than directly connected to Mobo.

2/ Use Mini Tool Partition Wizard [ Free } to create another partition - http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/partition-windows-7-system.html

3/ Remove all Temp Files / Restore Points / etc with Ccleaner { Free ] - https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

this will reduce C:\ size to minimal size { defrag drive also }.

4/ Use any program to Image C:\ { I use Acronis }. to the D:\ Backup Folder.

5/ Then copy the image to any portable drive or external if need be.

6/ Use the D:\ for your personal files and folders as a backup also.

Sometimes you have to do things yourself - than rely on Service Centres and Costs.

If you run a Business then you claim all your costs incurred.

All this will take time but you will have backups and feel at ease.

#3 Predrag.Jasic

Predrag.Jasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thank's for answer Havachat. But that is not the point. I can make backup anyway and I am doing that. Point is that I want to have FULL image of drive where are operating system and my data. In case of any mailfunction of hard disk I don't want to waste time on instaling OS or My documents backup. I want to simply restore image and be able to boot from new installation the same second. 

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 904 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well then it may be the Usb drive ?

Do a chkdsk and repair - on it and see if it passes ok.

Then Clone the C:\ to it  { Partiton Magic will do that }.Ensure it is Formatted and nothing else is there on it.

Or Install the Usb Drive inside  the Computer { Ask service Centre  } and connect via Sata Cabling and then Image it.

Edited by Havachat, 22 November 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#5 Predrag.Jasic

Predrag.Jasic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Disks are OK, both of them, but I will perform offline check again. The problem is where to store ParMagic image? USB is slow in  my motherboard. And about service: if you want new episode of Terminator, just tell me again to go there  :devil:

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 904 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

The problem is where to store ParMagic image?   if you want new episode of Terminator, just tell me again to go there  :devil:

Partition Magics Clone  of  C:\ Drive to your USb Drive . 

Whats Terminator got to do with helping you.??

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Point is that I want to have FULL image of drive where are operating system and my data. In case of any mailfunction of hard disk I don't want to waste time on instaling OS or My documents backup. I want to simply restore image and be able to boot from new installation the same second. 

The proper solution for what you desire...is to clone the hard drive to a new hard drive, IMO.  Assuming that all is well with the hard drive to be cloned...before you actually make the clone.  Macrium Reflect is the software I use for such.

Restoring an image requires more complicated solutions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users