Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferred hard drive from old to new (identical) computer, won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMyOS

WheresMyOS

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

My HP dv2000 Win XP laptop died after overheating. My husband bought another dv2000 without a hard drive and inserted the hard drive from our original computer. 

The new laptop boots to the HP and Win XP flash screens, then flashes a couple of paragraphs (white letters, blue background) too quickly to read, goes to black screen for a few seconds, and repeats the cycle. 

I booted off a mini-XP boot disk and was able to see files on the transferred hard drive. The device manager shows PCI drives with an exclamation point and the message that the right PCI drivers aren't installed (I can't duplicate the message because I now can't figure out how I got to that screen from the mini-XP boot disk.) 

What can I do to integrate the old hard drive with the new laptop, and get Windows working? 

I didn't lose any files when the original laptop died, but it was running an older Adobe Master Suite that I haven't been able to get working on my newer Win 7 machines, and I would really like to get it running on the dv2000 again.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Tap F8 at boot and select "Disable Auto Restart at System Failure" and see if you can get a blue screen.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

My husband bought another dv2000 without a hard drive and inserted the hard drive from our original computer.

That's not how it works.  You can't take an OEM installation of Windows and simply transfer it to another computer because it's tied to the motherboard of the original computer.  My best suggestion is for you to backup all your personal data and reinstall XP.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

The motherboard chipset has identifiers which Windows recognizes and uses in the startup.  When you move a hdd which had a Windows operating system installed from that computer to another it will see the new identifiers and basically will become confused and may not boot.  Even if it does boot, the chances are that the operating system will be buggy and will continue to get worse to the point that you will need to reinstall the operating system.

In Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 there is a way to get around this by running sysprep in the command prompt, turn off the computer and move the hdd to the new/different motherboard.  When the computer is started Windows will recognize the new identifiers and will boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users