Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop purchasing advice for ArcGIS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 myownlittleworld

myownlittleworld

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

I am hoping that someone who is familiar with using ArcGIS can offer recommendations for purchasing a new laptop.  I am soon to be involved in multiple GIS classes at college, and I commute 53 miles, one way, so I am wanting a portable method for assignments.  I have heard people say that, although the basic requirements for the program are not real high, there are background applications and such that make it useful to buy "up".  Of course, I would like to get the largest screen that is available (on a good system) for ease of working with the maps.

This is a link to the requirements for the system (in case someone not familiar with the system is curious) -

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/system-requirements/10.2/index.html#//015100000002000000

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Edited for grammar

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2014 - 07:14 AM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Judging by link You provide, any newer PC will do the job. SSD will be great stuff also, so if You can, buy it. You can also get some more RAM memory (8 or more gigs) and make a virtual drive where You can run "windows page file" just to spare SSD of too much work and potential defect. Thats general advice for every machine running SSD.

I would take no less then some i3 CPU and minimum 8GB of RAM, and at least 256MB SSD for system.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Interesting.

I note that there is even an Android app for use on smartphones.

If i were buying the laptop, it would be a 64bit system for starters......so that you can then run 8GB of ram or more if you needed to.....but after looking at the requirements, I think 8gb will be cool.

I would want the 8gb of ram to be standard in the laptop i bought....not an upgrade.

In buying the laptop....there is no such thing as overkill really....IMO (as long as you can afford it !!)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 myownlittleworld

myownlittleworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Sorry about the long delay in checking back.  (-been catching up on papers due for the end of the semester, and then away for the Thanksgiving holiday)  I appreciate the input.  I am looking at these 2 computers that are available in online deals (cyber Monday) and may pick the hp based on a computer magazine review.  My only hesitation is that I have read somewhere else that Dell quality is usually a bit better than hp.  Anyway, here they are-

HP Envy 17t laptop with Windows 7 (I want a start menu) $699.99

• Windows 7 Professional 64
  • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel® HD Graphics 4600
  • 16GB DDR3L System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=594151&storeId=10151

Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series (5748) $699.99

•  Intel® Core™ i7-4510U (dual core)
  • Windows 8.1
  • 8GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
  • 1TB Hard Drive (rpm?)

--or I can get the 'same' 5748 model for the same price that comes with an i5, Windows 7 and a "free" Venue 7 (3740), android 4.4 tablet, which, since I have read that the i5 to i7 jump in a laptop without the quad core is negligible in speed increase, may be a better option for me (windows 7 and a toy). 

edited because I didn't finish the last thought.

Edited by myownlittleworld, 01 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#5 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:34 PM

Something with Nvidia Quadro or Ati FirePro GPU if you wanna go as it should be.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users