Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adwcleaner

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Elysium

Elysium

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hello dear friends,

I had such problem today,

I ran Adwcleaner tool today , which i downloaded from here, and after restart it removed also my maintenance software from iOLO (SystemMechanic) so why it removed it?

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2014 - 11:39 AM.
moved from All Other Applications to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

You wanted to remove adware and that is what AdwCleaner did. System Mechanic is more likely to cause problems than it is

to solve any you may have. Those registry cleaning and defragging tools can cause serious problems.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

System mechanic is program and so it means that it was garbage?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

System Mechanic is a comprehensive optimization suite by iolo that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, a registry revitalizer (to fix "so called problems"), system optimizer and several other features.

System Mechanic Pro incorporates the same optimization suite but also purports to plug security holes and protect privacy, and includes System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. I cannot find any which have tested System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. I would be skeptical of any vendor not participating in comparative testing. As such, I would recommend replacing System Shield with a more reputable anti-virus solution.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results the program detects as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. I also would not trust any detection alerts for viruses or other malware.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for your suggestions Dear friends. So what do suggest to me as maintenance program for my system?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

What type of maintenance are you referring to?

#8 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

I had that SM from iolo, also i had ashampoo winoptimizer. what will your proffessioanl suggestion?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

As already noted by Budapest....Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of any registry cleaners/optimizers. The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams.

Also read this...Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

This article describes the Microsoft support policy for customers who use registry cleaning utilities that rely on unsupported methods to extract or modify the contents of a Windows Registry...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

#10 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

I recommend you Ccleaner, which is the only sensible, non-PUP "Optimization" program. Use it with CCEnhancer.

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for your suggestions Dear friends. So what do suggest to me as maintenance program for my system?

The best maintenance you can do for your computer is to start making regular backups.

This way, if you ever run into trouble with your machine, you have a backup to restore.

For the rest, Windows takes care of things automatically.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

#13 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

You're welcome.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaning feature unless you have a good understanding of the registry.

#15 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:06 AM

ok friends i use ccleaner for maintenance thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users