Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Scans At same Time ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

is it okay to run multiple scans at the same time? or is this not advised?

as an example, while i have malware bytes scanning, could i also use ccleaner to clean temp files? or run hitman pro, or jrt or adwcleaner?

i am trying to maximize my time while at clients homes, and im finding it boring waiting for malware bytes to finish its scan,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Probably a bad idea. It wouldn't be as dangerous as running multiple real-time protection antiviruses at a time but it would likely cause issues if both scanners wanted to scan the same file at the same time. CCleaner should only take a mnute or so to find and remove temp files, jrt only takes 5 minutes or so (but it will automatically restart the computer if it finds something so you don't want to run it alongside other things), adwcleaner also takes less than 5 minutes. MBAM takes 10 minutes for the normal scan or an hour or two for a full (every single file and folder) scan. I can't guranteee running multiple scanners at a time would cause problems but if it can be done harmlessly it will still use so much processing power that both scans will be much slower than if thye were run separately (hence meaning it would take longer for both to run at once than it would for one to run and finish then another).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

I don't see a problem running MBAM and CCleaner at the same time. Even if they scan the same file at the same time, this won't be a problem, as long as they don't try to clean the same file at the same time.

But I don't see this happening with MBAM and CCleaner.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

I would recommending running security scans separately so that you can monitor and concentrate on what they are doing/detecting. Running multiple scans could become confusing and easily lead to making a mistake. It also helps to avoid any conflicts if they detect or try to remove the same file as noted by Didier Stevens.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

mikey11

I'm running my daily MBAM and AV scans unattended overnight when my PC's are idle.  I prefer that so they're not running when I'm interactively using my PC's.  However, if you're using the free MBAM version, I don't think it provides scheduled scans. 

I'm using the Windows (7) Task Scheduler to wake the PC's up about 3 minutes before my overnight MBAM scan is scheduled to start.  When that scan completes, my scheduled AV scan starts.  My AV has an option to put the PC back into Sleep mode when that scan completes.

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

thanks for the replies, i agree doing scans one at a time is the best way to go, just trying to be as efficient as possible while at clients sites, on some computers MB is taking 20-25 minutes, so people are paying me to sit there and look at a screen, Lol

sometimes during the scan i will check out some of their settings in windows and internet just to basically make it look like im doing something, Lol

yesterday i set a new record, on one computer MB came up with 645 detections, thats my highest one yet! Lol

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.
-- If you have "Scan for rootkits" enabled (new MBAM 2.0 feature), this will add to the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes causes the scanner to stall (hang).

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.

• The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for rootkits, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.
-- If you have "Scan for rootkits" enabled (new MBAM 2.0 feature), this will add to the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes causes the scanner to stall (hang).

thanks for that,

i normally do not change any of the MB settings, i just install it , update it, and do a "threat scan" (i think thats what it is, its the top choice of the three options), should i be changing any settings to get a more comprehensive scan?

Edited by mikey11, 23 November 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Malwarebytes 2.0 offers three types of scans.
  • A THREAT SCAN (formerly QUICK SCAN) looks at the most prevalent places for active malware so scanning every single file on the drive isn't always necessary. This is the recommended scanning mode.
  • A CUSTOM SCAN (formerly FULL SCAN) allows you to customize where and what folders and files you want to scan. If you choose to check the entire C:\drive (all files/folders) it will perform similarly to a FULL SCAN.
  • A HYPER SCAN (formerly FLASH SCAN) quickly checks your system for active threats and is limited to detection of immediate threats. If anything is found, a THREAT SCAN is recommended afterward. This scan is only available for Malwarebytes Trial or Premium users.
What are the different scan options in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

"Scan for rootkits" can be found under Settings > Detection and Protection Options and is disabled by default since it increases the time required to perform a scan...see Why is scan for rootkit off by default?.

#11 kygiacomo

kygiacomo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

thanks for the replies, i agree doing scans one at a time is the best way to go, just trying to be as efficient as possible while at clients sites, on some computers MB is taking 20-25 minutes, so people are paying me to sit there and look at a screen, Lol

sometimes during the scan i will check out some of their settings in windows and internet just to basically make it look like im doing something, Lol

yesterday i set a new record, on one computer MB came up with 645 detections, thats my highest one yet! Lol

on my moms old computer i ran a MB scan after buying the premium edition and it detected 2100 files..not sure the exact number but it was 2100 something lol her computer is old and shes one those ppl that will click on any link on FB if someone sends a link lol i have warned and warned her about it but shes old and habits for older ppl are stubborn as u know

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

...on my moms old computer i ran a MB scan after buying the premium edition and it detected 2100 files..not sure the exact number but it was 2100 something...

Not surprising when first run on a computer it was never installed on before or one that is severely infected. I have also seen a much high detection number.

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

I first ran MBAM on an xp computer of mine, it had existing antivirus protection and norton antivirus (i don't remember which one, whichever was most up to date for that year) but MBAM still found things that had slipped through. It will detect things that most other antiviruses will (in my experience atleast) miss. I've also had the experience of helping a friend by using it on their computer, it found several hundred things. It's better know you know what infections the computer has, and malwarebytes ought to be abe to fix them all. I think your family member might benefit from running an adblocker (adblock plus in firefox browser for example), it means that less danegerous things will appear which can then be clicked on.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

I first ran MBAM on an xp computer of mine, it had existing antivirus protection and norton antivirus (i don't remember which one, whichever was most up to date for that year) but MBAM still found things that had slipped through. It will detect things that most other antiviruses will (in my experience atleast) miss.

That is because anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users