Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware X51 r2 upgrade parts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mfxmike

mfxmike

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi all, new to the forum and Im sorry if my question has been answered already. First off I already have this model alienware, and it runs great so I dont want to hear about how bleep alienware is, because its really not. Now I want to replace my RAM(going from 6gb to 16gb), which I have done on other desktops in the past, but this model alienware is the slim version. I was wondering if I would need to stay away from certain brands when buying new RAM? Would Kingston HyperX fury 8gb sticks work / fit in my R2? Also I was hoping to upgrade my graphics card. Im currently using a Geforce gtx 645. I know alot of graphics cards wont fit in my slim R2, but what geforce products will? Would a Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 760  4 GB GDDR5 fit my computer? Im Trying to pay around ~$150 for 2x 8gb ram sticks, and ~$200-220 for a graphics card, Amazon is my best friend for this. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 8.1
Version    6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    MIKE
System Manufacturer    Alienware
System Model    Alienware X51 R2
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    Alienware X51 R2
Processor    Intel® Core™ i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Alienware A03, 9/25/2013
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Alienware
BaseBoard Model    Not Available
BaseBoard Name    Base Board
Platform Role    Desktop
Secure Boot State    On
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
User Name    mike\MIKE\mike
Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    5.92 GB
Available Physical Memory    4.05 GB
Total Virtual Memory    7.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory    4.23 GB
Page File Space    1.25 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mfxmike

mfxmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

Please help, I can provide whatever additional information you need.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

Please download and install [url=http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/56796/Speccy[/url] to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

just out of curiousity - and I'm being careful not to lapse into reflexive alienware bashing - why do you think your system needs more RAM? It it just one of those random upgrades, something you always meant to do but kept putting off, or are you trying to fix an actual problem?

Edited by defanged, 29 November 2014 - 12:15 AM.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Crucial has 8GB modules for $76.99.

What are you going to be doing with this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

You should be able to find the physical measurements of video cards and maybe ram, and maybe be able to tell a bit from pictures, if they will fit.

#7 mfxmike

mfxmike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thank you for all the replies, and sorry for answering so late as I have been busy lately.  I use my alienware for gaming, and dont get me wrong it runs every game Ive tried on it perfectly. There is nothing wrong with the 6GB of RAM I have already, but I just want to upgrade it.  Even if it doesnt make a huge difference in performance right now, maybe at some point down the line it will help.  Like I said I am just looking to upgrade a few pieces, I have the money for it, and well it couldnt hurt right? I will check out the Crucial RAM that was recommended, thank you for that. I just havent had to deal with a slim model desktop before, and I wasnt sure if the new RAM or video cards I purchase would fit unless they were a certain model or brand. I was leaning on the "Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 760  4 GB GDDR5" graphics card, but I wasnt sure if my model will support that size, or even a "Zotac".

Edited by mfxmike, 05 December 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#8 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

what games do you play? if you  have the slots, increase RAM first, then pick out a more powerful GPU if you have the money (personally, I prefer the GTX 780 myself - - if you have the money, you can add more cards as you go along).

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Two things you need to keep in mind.

When adding RAM you need to use matched pairs so that the computer can run in dual channel which will reduce the bottle neck between the RAM and the CPU.

Before purchasing another graphics card find out what the power requirements and make sure your PSU is going to have enough wattage to run the new card.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

G'day mate, i did a bit of poking around and it seems the system only has a 330W power supply which will limit your choices of graphics card. Running a GTX760 is really pushing the power supply to it's far limit, but will work assuming the chosen GTX760 is not overclocked. Although alternatively, you could use the GTX750TI which is uses the very efficient Maxwell architecture and does not require any auxiliary power connectors.

Another upgrade option to boost game performance, is upgrading the CPU to an i5 but it has to be a low power i5 like the i5-4570S which has a lower TDP, hence not consuming as much power.  

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

woo did not notice that he was using a 330 watt PSU... retract earlier statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users