Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast! Antivirus behaving strangely (and another host of issues)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DrTexxOfficial

DrTexxOfficial

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

HISTORY:

(PLEASE NOTE!!!: I have a terrible memory and I regret not recording these occurrences, the following durations are my best guesses)

1. ~1 year ago my computer was infected by the Claro hijacker virus via Chrome.

2. I, stupidly, used the bundled uninstaller, and hijacker/trojan became more deep-rooted, hidden and a pain in my butt.

3. After lots of blood, sweat and late homework, I finally got help from a forum and all obvious signs of Claro ceased (WOO-HOO! right?).

4. 3 months passed until strange little things started happening:

Windows errors, weird graphical glitches, windows that flashed up on the screen then disappeared. (also an occasional blue-screen but I believe this was due to Virtual Audio Cable)

5. This was on and off for around a month, until I decided to do a scan-a-palooza, just to be safe.

6. I used most of the anti-malware software available for download at bleepingcomputers.com. e.g. MalwareBytes Anti-malware, RKill, AdwCleaner, etc.. Also CCleaner and Secunia PSI.
    (SIDENOTE: Secunia PSI never worked from day one. The program simply crashed a lot or froze. I may be recalling wrong but this might have been a catalyst for some of the other weird errors during the pc cleaning-up)

7. Finally I defragmented my drive and backed it up (backup has been lost since unfortunately).

8. 2 months or so later I made my PC duel-boot for Ubuntu 13.10, but didn't use it very often, continuing to use windows primarily.

9. Strange errors again and the beginning of (this sounds weird) disk reading errors. Including strange sounds from my hard-drive that have not occurred since.

10. I finally got sick of it and begun using Ubuntu again when 14.04 was released (as my primary OS this time).

11. I came back again to windows quite recently, was fine at first, and then issues appeared again and escalated much more rapidly, I seem to be experiencing an exponential level of slow-down (literally, like... squared booting times)

MY CURRENT ISSUES:

• Boot time has become slower at every reboot

• Sometimes computer fails to come out of hibernation with hyberfil.sys error (much less common since disabling and re-enabling feature via commandline)

• General slowdown that increases also every reboot

• Avast! Antivirus has been progressively showing different strange issues, the most recent of which is the inability to update (I have tried updating manually with no luck in the past).

• Windows Actions Centre has had issues since the initial Claro infection, different strange messages yet again. These Action Centre messages change frequently. Current messages are:

Security
    Virus protection (Important)
    Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer.
    Turn off messages about virus protection

^ The button reads “Find a program online”
    Even though Avast! is installed. I am aware some updates cause this issue in AV's, however Avast! apparently hasn't been able to for a few weeks now and it was working previous in the current version.

Maintenance
    Check for solutions to unreported problems
    These are problems on your computer that have not been reported to Microsoft. Some of these problems might have solutions available.
    Ignore this message View problems to report”

^ The button reads “Check for solutions”
    When I select the “view problems to report” link, an empty list appears... suspicious, no?

• After a recent Kaspersky TDSSKiller scan out of intrigue I found that the digital signature showed up as forged for Steam's main executable (steam.exe), I am not sure why.

• Occasionally when I search through windows directories I find folders of applications I don't recall installing, I sometimes wonder if this is possibly Claro still in the deep-reaches of my computer (I've been paranoid ever since the initial infection).

MY COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS:

• Acer Aspire 5750g

• Windows 7 Home Premium (pre-installed)

• 64-bit Architecture

• 4 GB of ram

• i5 processor

• Almost 3 years old

FINAL NOTE:

I apologise if I missed anything, I rarely use forums and suck at formatting my questions well.

The answer I am looking to find is simply:

A ) Is my computer simply old?

B ) Am I infected? (that was meta)

or

C ) Am I just a god damn hypochondriac and it's a simple issue with a simple solution.

P.S

If anything has been miss-spelled or you notice a typo, it's not my fault I promise. I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 on my spare, crappy laptop and Libre office's spell-check is rubbish.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users