Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I don't know what's going on here. (Win7)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarguy93

guitarguy93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:51 PM

My computer started acting really weird a while back. First, my mouse software would restart randomly and make my mouse stop working until it started up again. Now, I'm getting crashes quite often. Virus scans have shown nothing and I don't know what else to do. It just freezes up and I hear a beep through the sounds and then I have to power it off with the power button. No BSoD and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work at all. It's a complete lock-up. Can I get some help here?

EDIT: I should mention that I recently installed Ubuntu alongside Win7 as a dual-boot option. I don't see why that would be causing this problem, but details are important.

Edited by guitarguy93, 21 November 2014 - 11:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hi guitarguy93

As this may involve Linux I feel it is ok for me to reply here and start the ball rolling with some questions.

How did you install Ubuntu With WUBI?

Did you create a partition manually?

Or did you just boot from CD DVD USB and install along side?

Did you first Defragment you HDD?

How is Ubuntu running? Any Problems?

The answers to these questions may give us some idea on how to proceed.  Also people who are skilled with Windows will have questions for you. 

Now This is Important.

Is Ubuntu bootable?  If it is boot it up and use it to back up your my documents folder to some external media .   It is possible that Windows may have been damaged during the install.  Then again It may just be something simple with Windows.

but details are important.

Yes they are. Here's what we ask for in the Linux section.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Members are advised that if they are considering dual booting Windows and Linux , Please visit the Linux section first and we can advise you on the best course of action Linux & Unix

Edited by NickAu1, 22 November 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#3 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:34 AM

Well, I ended up formatting my hard drive accidentally, so it's not a software issue. It's kind of a long story, but the issue is still happening. Is my computer overheating, perhaps? It's only about 8 months old, but I could see it doing that with 4 dogs and 3 smokers. Dog hair, smoke residue, dust, etc. Maybe I need some new thermal compound and good-ole canned air.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm almost 100% certain it's getting too hot. It never happens right away. Always after a couple of hours of running.

Edited by guitarguy93, 24 November 2014 - 02:38 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:29 AM

Is my computer overheating, perhaps?

Yes it may be.....  Is it a Desktop or laptop?

Maybe You need some  good-ole canned air.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 November 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:08 AM

Well, I ended up formatting my hard drive accidentally, so it's not a software issue. It's kind of a long story, but the issue is still happening. Is my computer overheating, perhaps? It's only about 8 months old, but I could see it doing that with 4 dogs and 3 smokers. Dog hair, smoke residue, dust, etc. Maybe I need some new thermal compound and good-ole canned air.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details - (this will also list temperatures)
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<== Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

This may also help NickAu1

Thanks -

#6 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

Well, maybe it's not too hot. I'm confused about it, now. These temps were right after about 3 hours of constant gaming. Then again, nothing was really going wrong when I looked at them...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nCuNHDN2h3aDwowiyqeIch6

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

As you are running Windows,  I now bow out of this topic.

Should you wish to try Linux please pop over to Linux & Unix start a new post and we will be happy to assist you.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 November 2014 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users