1. I have an HP Laptop with an AMD processor.
2. I initially had Windows 8 loaded and successfully upgraded to 8.1 with no difficulty.
3. I have updates loaded automatically and when I see the shield to update & restart, I also go and install all of the optional updates.
4. Things were going swimmingly well until a couple of updates ago when I experienced what many others in the various forums had also experienced; to wit. a blue screen showed up saying there was a problem and that more information needed to be collected antecedent to a mandatory/automated shutdown of the OS.
5. This problem was not resolved for more than a month but it was finally resolved and I had no problems until this latest automatic update + 700+mb optional update
6. That blue screen showed up again and shut me down again but the problem only occurred once
7. The system was unstable however (selecting "check box" commands options in dialog boxes was "iffy" and required multiple clicks)
8. I tried restarting and my OS would not shut down; i powered off
9. Subsequent to restart, the OS would no longer shut down other than by powering off
10. I utilized "Automatic Repair" option and Windows 8 was reloaded.
11. I loaded all updates without incident
12. I tried to load Windows 8.1 but Windows Store App Green Tile appears and then reverts to start screen.
13. Apps troubleshooter stated cache may be corrupted but could not successfully effect a fix.
14. I have looked all day to attempt to find a fix; this has been a problem since late 2012 and the Microsoft Support Engineers only offer suggestions that have not worked for any of us
15. Reimage Plus costs $49 but says it can isolate damaged/defective Windows files and replace them with the correct functional files
16. If someone has encountered a solution I would prefer to save the $49 for a product that "may" or "may not" perform as advertised
17. Thank you