Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband Speeds Throttled - Please Help .....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ITGuy17

ITGuy17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer,

So I am having a problem that both myself and Comcast technical support teams are unable to figure out. I originally had the idea that the issue was a certain thing but later after doing some self-diagnosing figured out that it is something different. I will spare most of you the extra reading by jumping right to the likely cause in my eyes.

Original issue was that when utilizing speedtest.net to check my networking broadband speeds, I noticed that I was at about 1-2 mbps download, I was noticing my Outlook and Firefox running slow during this period. I called up Comcast who informed me that they had a planned outage in effect for the next several hours. This was Monday night, As of Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, I was averaging about 4 to 7 mbps download and a constant 12 mbps upload. I spoke with Comcast yet again and they did a factory reset on my Comcast router and several other small things.  I was able to get the speedtest up to about 24 to 28 mbps download but for short period after releasing and renewing my ip address.

• Comcast Modem has been factory reset
  • My Netgear wireless router has been firmware upgraded
  • Current setup is CoAxe cable into Comcast Router, RJ-45 from Modem into Router and then Router into Desktop

Finally after 3 plus days of this crap, I decided to think about other ways of testing and decided to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.  Guess what!!!!   I was getting on average between 57 and 63 mbps download. So at this point I figured that I must have some form of malware or a virus that is high jacking my broadband. So I ended up doing multiple scans and tests with all results coming back negative. I have used several networking monitoring programs with the same results.  So I guess my question is simply … Can anyone think of something I missed or what the issue could be?

I have used the following programs with negative results.

• Malware Bytes
  • Spybot Search/Destroy
  • Bit Defender Anti-Virus
  • McAgee Stinger
  • Adw Cleaner
  • Eset Online Scanner
  • GlassWire

So I am pretty much simply confused ….. I am still able to get up to 18/19 mbps but it will drop to 4/6 mbps after a while.

Couple other facts!

Anti-Virus is Bit Defender

ISP is Comcast

My computer is an HP Pavilion 500-164

Main Browser - FireFox

Here is the report generated by HiJackThis

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 6:16:20 PM, on 11/21/2014
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.02.1008)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17416)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go8\CLMLSvc_P2G8.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire\GWIdlMon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Users\Dustin\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Bitdefender Wallet - {1DAC0C53-7D23-4AB3-856A-B04D98CD982A} - C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\Antispam32\pmbxie.dll
O2 - BHO: Lync Click to Call BHO - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Microsoft SkyDrive Pro Browser Helper - {D0498E0A-45B7-42AE-A9AA-ABA463DBD3BF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office15\GROOVEEX.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Network Check Helper - {E76FD755-C1BA-4DCB-9F13-99BD91223ADE} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AmazonGSDownloaderTray] C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\amd64\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDTray] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDTray.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet Agent] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pwdmanui.exe" --hidden --nowizard
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet Application Agent] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spotify] "C:\Users\Dustin\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe" /uri spotify:autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spotify Web Helper] "C:\Users\Dustin\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Data\SpotifyWebHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iCloudServices] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ApplePhotoStreams] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AppEx Accelerator UI] C:\Program Files\AMD Quick Stream\AMDQuickStream.exe -h
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet Agent] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe" (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pwdmanui.exe" --hidden --nowizard (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet Application Agent] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\antispam32\bdapppassmgr.exe" (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Bitdefender Wallet Agent] "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\pmbxag.exe" (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Snagit 11.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 11\Snagit32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office15\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll/105
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-103 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\HPNetworkCheckPlugin.dll,-102 - {25510184-5A38-4A99-B273-DCA8EEF6CD08} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\Resources\HPNetworkCheck\NCLauncherFromIE.exe
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Lync Click to Call - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Lync Click to Call - {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OCHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: osf - {D924BDC6-C83A-4BD5-90D0-095128A113D1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSOSB.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807583E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE15\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: SDWinLogon - SDWinLogon.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Amazon Download Agent - Amazon.com - C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderService.exe
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD FUEL Service - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\Fuel.Service.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Monitor Service - CyberLink - c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD12\Kernel\DMS\CLMSMonitorServicePDVD12.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Service - CyberLink - c:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD12\Kernel\DMS\CLMSServerPDVD12.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GlassWire Control Service (GlassWire) - SecureMix LLC - C:\Program Files (x86)\GlassWire\GWCtlSrv.exe
O23 - Service: HP Support Assistant Service - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\hpsa_service.exe
O23 - Service: HP Software Framework Service (hpqwmiex) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Support Solutions Framework Service (HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\Common\HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service v4 (IntuitUpdateServiceV4) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4\IntuitUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: OpenVPN Service (OpenVPNService) - The OpenVPN Project - C:\Program Files (x86)\HMA! Pro VPN\bin\openvpnserv.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SafeBox - Bitdefender - C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender SafeBox\safeboxservice.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service (SDScannerService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDFSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service (SDUpdateService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service (SDWSCService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDWSCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\stlang64.dll,-10101 (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\STacSV64.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bitdefender Desktop Update Service (UPDATESRV) - Bitdefender - C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\updatesrv.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bitdefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Bitdefender - C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender\vsserv.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-320 (WdNisSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\NisSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpAsDesc.dll,-310 (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 12818 bytes

I would sincerely appreciate any help!

` Dustin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

IMO you have to much security, much if not all disabled in safe mode reason for better peformance.  Shut all but your AV and see what happens.

Edited by OldPhil, 21 November 2014 - 09:55 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

I am with OldPhil on this one. Try disabling the AV and test the speed again. If you find that it is slower then contact bit defender. I would also try a different speed test site. Some of my favorites are speakeasy and testmy.net.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users