Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not Working Driver Corrupted or Missing (Code 39)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheSkaFish

TheSkaFish

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hello,

On Monday, Nov 17 I noticed that my keyboard stopped responding as I tried to type a Google search and nothing happened. 

• I checked the plug and the wire, and both seem fine. 
  • I tried restarting the computer, but it still didn’t work. 
  • I also tried two other keyboards which I know to be in working condition, but neither of them worked on my computer.

I went to the Device Manager in the Control Panel and noticed a yellow circle with an exclamation point inside it next to the device name.  I double-clicked on the yellow circle and a window opened in a General tab which said:

Standard 101/102 – Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Device status

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard as suggested by the Troubleshooter, but that didn’t help.  The only other suggestion offered by the Troubleshooter was to update the driver, which I tried in a number of ways.  I tried going to the Windows Update site, but when I tried in Firefox it told me I needed to be using Internet Explorer and when I tried in Internet Explorer I got an error message stating that the site cannot display. 

I tried to update the driver from the Driver tab in the Device Manager window:

• Hitting the Update Driver button wound up with a message which said “Cannot continue the Hardware Update Wizard.  Could not find better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.”
  • Hitting the Roll Back Driver button results in a message saying “No driver files have been backed up for this device.”

• I also tried the System Restore feature to two different Restore Points before my keyboard stopped working.  This didn’t solve the problem either.

I’m wondering then, what I can do to solve this?  I’ve managed to type so far on the virtual keyboard.  One thing that worries me is that if I have to do a clean install of Windows, I don’t know how I can do it without using a keyboard since it requires hitting keys and I won’t be able to access the virtual keyboard during re-installation.

I’m using a Dell Dimension 8300, running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 (32-bit) with Service Pack 3.  I am using a Standard 101/102 – Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard.

Edited by TheSkaFish, 21 November 2014 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

I understand the fault and it looks like the keyboard interface chip on the system board.  Most PS2 type connectors (a small DIN type) are  mounted to the main board too, often stacked with the PS2 mouse connection.  If that's the problem, a USB type could replace the one on the PS2 port.  IF that fails, the fault is on the board.

#3 TheSkaFish

TheSkaFish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

I understand the fault and it looks like the keyboard interface chip on the system board.  Most PS2 type connectors (a small DIN type) are  mounted to the main board too, often stacked with the PS2 mouse connection.  If that's the problem, a USB type could replace the one on the PS2 port.  IF that fails, the fault is on the board.

Hmm.  There is a mouse connection right next to the keyboard connection, but it's been working fine. 

I'm hoping it's not that something is physically broken.  Another thing that i forgot to mention before was that i first noticed this problem after uninstalling Keyscrambler using the Revo Uninstaller on Advanced, its most deep and thorough setting.  I wonder if i hadn't uninstalled my keyboard driver by mistake.

i also looked up this problem on google and found a thread on another forum about this same issue, but i don't quite understand the solution.  is it possible this might be the answer and could someone explain it to me better?

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards-and-Keyboard-Mice/Windows-cannot-load-the-device-driver-may-be-corrupted-or/m-p/278323#M13129

Edited by TheSkaFish, 23 November 2014 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users