Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't seem to get updates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:09 PM

All the sudden (last 4 or 5 days) I can't update any of my distros or software on 2 computers.  I get a message to check my internet connection, that the package can't download.  I have a gateway, intel  b960 processor with 4.?ghz processing speed,  4gb ddr3 memory, and 500gb HDD, 64 bit wifi laptop with 3 distros and windows on.  I have Mint qiana, ubuntu 14.04LTS, and open suse 13.1.  Plus I have an old systemax (had xppro on) with 2.? ghz dualcore intel processor, 2gb memory, and 500gb hard drive, 32bit.  I have 5 distros on it, mint qiana, ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Peach, Open suse 13.2, and zorin on it. It is a desktop machine that is ethernet wired.   Both machines tell me when there are updates, and I update right away with no problems til 4 or 5 days ago.  Now with all except mint, it updates itself,  I get a message

Failed to download package files

check your internet connection

A box comes up saying I have updates to install, then checking for updates, then either I have 143 kb will be downloaded, or I think it's 7..kb , I forget the number with that one.  the bigger updates seem to work at least so far, and I can't click on anything to get the details of updates.  When I click on settings, the computer goes to the software and update settings.  So I just click on install now and give my password.  the box comes up saying installing updates, downloading under it, then the above message.  I'm trying to keep everything updated, but I'm wondering if there is another problem.

I use firefox, chrome and midori as browsers, and I can access them whenever I try to go online.  I know I can mess up anything, but I haven't purposely changed a thing, nor have I added new distros in the last month give or take a few days.  Ubuntu was the first to have trouble updating, then zorin, open suse, and today peach wouldn't.   They stopped updating over the entire period, not all at once.  I normally try to go to each distro at least once a week to update while I'm deciding which I want.  After the updating problem started I tried to update more.  After ubuntu wouldn't update, and the next one I tried would, I didn't try any more, but after the next one wouldn't I tried all of them.  My home network and internet all work properly except for that, and all the windows computers are working properly.  The setting haven't been changed on the networks that I can see.  I do have a cisco router, but this wasn't what that bug was supposed to do, I don't think.  My wife and I are the only ones on our network, and she has a windows 7 laptop, that's working ok, I have a windows 7 laptop that's hooked into our tv for watching tv, a windows 8 desktop I really dislike using, can't even give it away.  It's just on now for updates, and my 2 linux machines that I play with.  What do I need to check, or change to get my updates to work again?  I've probably forgot to say something, but I know I'll get asked if I did.  I'll appreciate all the help I can get.  Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

There's a Package Manager Troubleshooting Procedure that usually solves this sort of problem.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Ok, thanks Nick, I figured there was something simple I was missing.  I'll read that a few times and give it a try tomorrow.  

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

---disregard this suggestion---

Edited by bmike1, 22 November 2014 - 01:35 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Haven't seemed to get the updates to work yet, there is actually only 1 or 2 per distro.  I changed my download spot to the ubuntu main site, except with opensuse that is doing the same thing, and am only using one repository at a time and no third party stuff.  I haven't joined ubuntu one yet, tried a couple times, but kept making mistakes.  I wished sites would make those words readable, and not wipe out your password every time.  5 tries and I wait awhile.  With ubuntu, I only need 143kb (on both computers), and it's not too large, but more on opensuse.  As I said, Mint is up to date on both computers.  And I haven't tried zorin or peach today.  Oh, I can download software from the repositories with no problem on ubuntu and opensuse on my laptop (64 bit).  

Edited by heyyou325, 22 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:38 PM

Doublecheck the URLs for the repositories to make sure they are correct. Also check your firewall to make sure it isn't blocking any ports the repos use.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

I had thought about the firewall.  I have never set it, as I am on a closed network, only my wife and I, but I just went into the terminal on my laptop and set it at default, then clicked install updates, same result.  Since I can still install programs from the ubuntu repository, it must have the right ip address, I checked again this morning.  It's funny that it happened to 5 distros on 8 partitions all withing a I think 4 days.   I'm thinking about reinstalling everything.  

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

I'm thinking about reinstalling everything.

Lot of trouble Mate, still you've got all winter - I wanna come to north Idaho and play with all the puters and Distros and see snow.

Ubuntu One was actually discontinued early April - I removed mine.

Have you tried installing updates and upgrades from Terminal?

In the 'Buntu based distros, the update icon might continue to blink or wiggle, then I reboot and it settles down, and everything shows software up-to-date.

Don't know what happens with RPM-based (yet) ie Open Suse, and no experience with Peach (yet)

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

All the sudden (last 4 or 5 days) I can't update any of my distros or software on 2 computers

As you can't update any Distro's on 2 computers I would suggest its a local issue involving your internet connection or router or something like that,

Also check your firewall to make sure it isn't blocking any ports the repos use.

Even if you broke 1 Distro I cant see how it would affect the others. Locking down the firewall in say Linux Mint will not affect say Ubuntu on another machine as they are separate Operating systems running independently of each other.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 November 2014 - 07:27 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

It is internet on my end.  This happened to me a while back on here too.  I can send e-mail and sometimes post a line or two.  I'll try to explain when I can.

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

After bmike posted about updating with terminal on cheesemakers, I tried that with the same results.

#12 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Won't send the messages that came back because of space.  I could e-mail and work on other sites, and this exact thing happened on this site awhile back.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

Before I went shopping for an hour I was gonna say eg "Hey you had those probs a while back with your connection -  are they related?"

Best get that one fixed before getting snowed in

:wizardball:

Picture this - "Honey you've been on that snow plow for 4 hours now and I can't see a lick of difference". "Luv, I say Luv, I had to go into town to get a new modem-router" (followed by sound of frying pan descending on head) :hysterical:

#14 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

She goes to town.  I'm retired, I get to stay home and hide.  Been a long wait, but I finally get to be a cranky, crochety, cantankorous old man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users