Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless on Acer 240

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 driss

driss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum (site) .

A very young relative of mine has acquired an old Acer TravelMate 244LC. The laptop´s system information says Acer 240.

It came without wireless adapter (optional when purchased by first owner). Found the slot on motherboard and installed

a Broadcom adapter BCM94318MPG. After installing and uninstalling a dozen drivers, I finally found the right one. All OK

in device manager, and "device works fine" status. So far so good. Installed after that WIFI names and passwords....

I get nothing, no connection, no other wifis in the building... Says "unavailable", not enabled. Laptop has launch buttons,

all work fine except bluetooth and wioreless (shaded gray). My thought is since those 2 are optional, maybe I must find some

driver to enable them in launch manager... 4 days searching and nothing so far.

Gratitude in advance for any good lead or tips. Acer does not bother, the model being so old.

Regards

DH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

I did some searching and found this. For the trouble you would go through, I thing you would be better off getting rid of the card and using a USB adapter like this if you don't plan on moving the computer. If you plan on moving the computer and are close to the wireless point then these should work okay.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=tl-wn722n

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users