Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High usage of RAM after opening and closing programs.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Angelo9657

Angelo9657

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hello, I've recently done a few upgrades to my computer, I got a new graphics card and motherboard. I play games and when I play games I hate lag.. like most gamers out there...

But what I've noticed is when I play a game like Battlefield 4 for a time and then close it, I'm still stuck with more RAM than usual. I know that the computer keep files open in order to be able to open them faster in future use, but the RAM goes from around 2.4GB after fresh restart to 4.5GB after running a few games and then closing them.I then open a game like Battlefield 4 and the RAM skyrockets to 7GB usage.

This is causing lag, I resort to restarting my computer and opening the game after a fresh restart in order to play it smoothly.

I've been told this is normal but I don't see a reason as to why the computer is performing worse than it was with my old GTX 550Ti, now that I have a new R9 285.

System:

CX600M PSU

8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

Z77X-UD5H Motherboard

XFX R9 285

i5-2320 @ 3.00Ghz

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Edited by Angelo9657, 21 November 2014 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

It does sound kind of normal to me too, although I would expect after a while the ram would clear. Perhaps with your new graphics card you now run higher settings which take up more ram, which is why it performs worse - perhaps. My understanding is that windows will use whatever ram is available to it; that, if you have 3 gigs free things will run at the same speed as if you had only 1 gig free. I think you just need more ram, I'm always telling people 8 gigs is not enough for the latest pc gaming such as BF4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users