Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Windows Installer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

Today, for seemingly no reason that I can think of, some of my programs and games stopped working. It was only a few applications, but they all seemed to be missing info usually found in the registry (serial numbers, etc.). I started by doing a system restore back to yesterday, when everything was working fine, and it seemed to make things worse. Even more programs gave me errors and on top of that, I couldn't access the internet. I undid the restore and everything went back to the way is was originally (before the restore), thankfully.

I then went to the Add/Remove Programs tool with the intention to simply re-install the trouble-programs and saw something I've never seen before. About half of the programs in there didn't have information next to them, and when I clicked on one of them it didn't have a Change/Remove button next to it. Even those programs that had some info didn't have any modify or remove buttons.
Posted Image

For some of the programs that didn't work, I put in the original disc and ran the setup, giving me the option to Remove or Repair the software. When I chose either one, it began the process of uninstalling, but before it actually did anything I either (1) got an error saying the Windows Installer Service couldn't be accessed or (2) the setup was interrupted. I then tried a freeware program that I've used before (MyUninstaller) and nothing showed up on the installed software list... very odd. I googled the Windows Installer error and found that it was a problem with registering the service. I followed the instructions found on the microsoft website found here.

That worked for the programs that gave me the Windows Installer error. For the programs that gave me a "setup interrupted" error, I still haven't figured out how to uninstall them. As far as I understand the Windows Installer, it stores information in the registry for whatever programs you install with it (app location, uninstall location, etc.). For the software I have that uses Installer Vise software, there aren't any errors re-installing them, so I'm almost sure that it's a problem with the Windows Installer service (unless the other software doesn't use the registry). It's nothing critical, but for the software that gave me errors and won't run, and won't re-install on top of that, I'd like to know why. I'm concerned that it could be a permission problem with the registry, even a virus maybe. It would also be nice to be able to uninstall software through the Add/Remove Programs tool, instead of using the original setup files.

For some background:
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2
2 GB RAM, plenty of HDD Space

I tried to make this post as precise and informative as possible. It's a little long, but hopefully somebody will read it through and be able to help me.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

I dunno if this will help you - but DJLizard's Dial-A-Fix will re-register the files for you (to see if this is just a "glitch"). It's free and is available here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

Take a look at this it may help, I would suggest printing the document for reference.

Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907749/en-us

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

I dunno if this will help you - but DJLizard's Dial-A-Fix will re-register the files for you (to see if this is just a "glitch"). It's free and is available here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Thanks for the reply, but all that is able to do is unregister and re-register the windows installer service, which I've already done manually. I tried it out anyway, and like i expectedm nothing changed.

It doesn't look like there's any problems with the Windows Installer Serivce, but rather my registry. It seems that something went in and either corrupted or changed a few entries, and now a handful of my programs won't run (I'm finding more everyday that need to be re-installed). On top of that, the entries that Windows Installer created were corrupted and now it's unable to find any software installed before the corruption (but it works fine with software I've installed since then).

Edited by .Prodigy., 18 June 2006 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

Still haven't fixed anything guys. Any mopre suggestions would be helpful.

Posted Image

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

For this you have to have the Windows install software and the COA 9Certificate of Authenticity) = key code

Give this a try and please print the article for reference

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users