Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall not running error message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mystified

Mystified

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

When XP is starting programs in the tool bar (near the clock) I get a popup message that firewall is not running. When I check security center it says firewall is on. I use Avira for my anti-virus. Firewall is grayed out in the avira control panel normally. When I turn off the windows firewall in security center the Avira firewall button is still grayed out. Happens every time I start XP. Thanks for your help - Mystified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

Which one do you want to run? (don't run both, they can/will conflict)

#3 Mystified

Mystified
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

I would prefer to use the avira firewall with Microsoft ending support for XP.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

Do this;

Start-Control Panel- d-click Security Center.

Under "Manage security settings for:", click Windows Firewall.

Turn OFF the firewall, click OK.

Under Security Settings, the Firewall area will now have a button called 'Recommendations', click it.

Check the box that says "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself" and click OK.

Now turn on the Avira firewall. You should no longer get Windows Firewall nags. You may have to reboot for all the changes to set properly.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

Avira Free Antivirus doesn't offer firewall protection.  You need the Windows Firewall enabled until you find an alternate program to download and use. That alert appears due to the boot sequence and it will disappear after XP is completely loaded.  Turn on your computer and go fix coffee or something. Then you'll never see the alert. :wink:   

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Agreed.  And...Windows firewall is just fine, except for those who want to do continuous monitoring of firewall activity.  To what purpose, I've never figured out, but that is the chief "benefit" of 3d-party firewalls.  If you read the documentation for such, that becomes obvious.

Louis

#7 Mystified

Mystified
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

ElfBane No Joy even after reboot. Avira error message says I have to upgrade. Avira website says it's only available for Vista and above.

TulsaRose I've been using Avira paid products for a long time. Should have my own wing in their building. :)

Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users