Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser windows open without prompting/randomly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lucaso777

lucaso777

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

Good Morning,

I have a laptop that is running Windows 8.  I have used IE, Firefox, and Chrome and run multiple software scans to find the problem but it still persists.

While open (and sometimes not open) my browser will spontaneously open new tabs (or windows) directing me to another site.  Some sites are so controlling that I can't get rid of the tab.

I've gone into all the Chrome and FF extensions and deleted everything that I don't use AND is from non-reputable organizations.

Do you have any suggestions for how to find whatever malware is plaguing my poor laptop?

Thank you very much in advance -and- sincerely,

Luke

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 November 2014 - 07:33 PM.
moved from Windows 8 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Ah, looks like some sort of malware is installed. I would suggest running a Mal ware byte scan. http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and post back if anything comes back reported.

#3 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

This is the problem due to addwares,try to run adw cleaner that will fix the problem definitely and reply me back

#4 lucaso777

lucaso777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:34 AM

Thanks! I started the MalWare tool and it looks like it will be an hour or so. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
-Luke

#5 amrendra4all

amrendra4all

• Banned Spammer
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

If malware bytes tool didnt work just try to download adwcleaner and run it as i told it will fix it definitely

#6 lucaso777

lucaso777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Well it said that there were 172 non-malware items detected that it suggested should be 'quarantined.'   I quarantined them so we'll have to see if that works and feedback if I get anymore random tab openings.

Thanks for the link and I'll keep the adwcleaner in mind for next time if this happens to fail.

Great community here!

#7 bandicoot_

bandicoot_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Please go to "History" in Malwarebytes and click Delete All. This will delete everything so you don't have to worry about it.

#8 lucaso777

lucaso777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thanks bandicoot. Will do!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions, then restart the computer.

Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Please run the following scans.

Please download and install Emsisoft.

1.  When Emsisoft opens click on Update.

emsisoft6_zpsace019ac.png

2.  Click on Full Scan.

emsisoft7_zps9186dacd.png

3.  After the scan has completed the results will be displayed.  Make sure there is a check in the box of each item found, then click on Quarantine.

emsisoft9_zpsf493a30a.png

4.  After the items have been quarantined click on OK.

emsisoft10_zpscd89d5de.png

5.  After the quarantine has been completed click on Logs.

emsisoft11_zps7f976399.png

6.  Click on Export and save the log to a location which you will be able to find and open.  Open the log, copy and then paste the log in your topic.

emsisoft12_zpsb7365391.png

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users