Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

ok this may seem wierd but...

so we cancelled AOL last september (2005) and had been with bellsouth since. however, we recently got something in the mail about AOL terminating our account. When we called them they said that the account was activated again on January of this year and that they needed a CC number so they can bill us. Now they want us to pay for about 6 months of service which i think is total BS. Why would they even reactivate the account if they had nobody to bill?

So besides trying to deal with AOL about this, we are also trying to figure out how the account can get activated. Maybe its possible (but highly unlikely) my lil bro may have accidentally clicked on something, but wouldnt they need some sort of confirmation or something? i was thinking maybe some sort of virus? are there any out there that can reactivate an account or sign you up for something w/o your knowledge?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

Sounds like another lie from AOL, they will do anything to keep collecting money just read this article from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125772,pg,2,00.asp

whatever you do, dont give them any information at all.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

http://www.break.com/index/aolhell.html

Have a listen to this.... I used to get calls asking me to cancel for them as they were having the same trouble.

1) Next time they contact you state that you cancelled already (give them the date)
2) Tell then the matter is on hold with your solicitor and that if they contact you again you have been instructed to claim for harassment.
3) Then put the phone down.

:thumbsup:

#4 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:17 AM

only problem is that AOL does acknowledge that we cancelled our account back in september. however what they are arguing about is that someone activated our account back again in Jan '06. My dad is thinking of just paying it (they said someting about a collection agency), but what if it happens again? Is there a way to prevent this in the future...cuz i think that they might pull this off again.

but is it even remotely possible that it is a virus?

oh and after talking to them on the phone somemore, guess what they offered. they offered to drop the bill if we sign up again for AOL and try it again for free. total BS

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

From what I hear, they (aol) reactivate accounts without permission.
LOL I guess you could contact your states Attorney General.

Edited by Scarlett, 17 June 2006 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

To try AOL " for free", you must give the your credit card number!!!.

DONT

AOL does re activate accounts with out permission
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

N.Y. Attorney General Prods AOL on Cancellation Policies

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122306,00.asp

After receiving about 300 complaints from consumers who had experienced trouble getting AOL to cancel their subscriptions, Spitzer's office began an inquiry into the matter. It found AOL had a system to reward customer service representatives who managed to dissuade people who called to cancel their subscriptions.

"In many instances, such retention was done against subscribers' wishes, or without their consent," the statement reads.

This story is nearly a year old, but something to keep in mind.

Edited by Scarlett, 19 June 2006 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users