Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freezes With Earthlink Total Access Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mark b

mark b

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

I've been having thisproblem for awhile now when I try to open my email in earthlink total access. Everything freezes up. There have been times I need to pull the plug to shut down, since nothing else responds. I open the task manager panel, (ctrl+ alt + delete) click processes, and lsas.exe is shown as the most cpu usage at 95- 100%. Can't close earthlink task panel, shut down from start menu or log off. I tried starting by clicking IE which opens and goes to my normal (earthlink) home page, and I can then open mail box without a problem. I contacted Earthlink help, they told me it was likely background programs running that cause the problem, and shut off un necessessary ones. I tried this and have the same problem. I have a Dell 4550 with Windows XP. Bought this in 02 and only recently had this problem.I had not installed anthing new prior to this. I did get some spyware, (dialer) near the same time, but I thought I got rid of it. I have tried various recomedations with no help. I have run Norton 2006 anivirus, Ewidio, Adaware se, and Windows deffender, they all come up clean. I ran the Dell diagnostic disc that came with the unit and it said that something is not configured properly, but what? Ihave even tired to send error reports to Microsoft, and the response I get is not responding when I get it, so I don't know what they have to say. I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks, Mark B.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi mark b.

I contacted Earthlink help, they told me it was likely background programs running that cause the problem, and shut off un necessessary ones.

I wouldn't expect them to say anything different.
I was with Earthlink for 8 years before I dumped dial-up. Always had a good connection too.
I can tell you one thing for sure. There is no extra software, like Total Access, required to connect and setup any accounts with Earthlink. They should call it "Total Garbage". :thumbsup:
If I were you, I'd remove it and setup manually.
Sorry, don't mean to rant but I hate it when an ISP does this to it's customers.
In any case, search for a file called "ARUpld32.exe".
If you see it, double click it and remove all the checkmarks on all the tabs.
If it doesn't help, rename it by puting a single number at the end of the .exe extension.
Let us know.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 June 2006 - 08:57 AM.

#3 mark b

mark b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

Hi Hitsquad,
thanks for the tip, it seems to have worked! I've been kind of frazzeled with this problem, hope it stays this way. BTW I've been thinnking of changing isp anway, Earthlink DSL costs too much. Thanks again Mark B

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

You're welcome mark b.
What you've just killed is basicly spyware, courtesy of Earthlink.
It monitors your surfing habits and reports home.
No respectable ISP should ever encourage or silently install such an application and then dump the problem off on something else when a customer phones for help with connection issues.
Will they ever learn? :thumbsup:

BTW, when you decide to change ISP's, never use any "easy install" discs that may be provided to you. :flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 18 June 2006 - 06:57 AM.

#5 mark b

mark b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

Hello Hitsquad,
After my last post, I put the machine in standby, I came back an hour later and started up. I had left the task panel on, when I clicked for email it froze again. I went to shut down through the task mgr since nothing else was responding, and everything closed, the Windows is shutting down screen came on and nothing else happened for half an hour. I had to pull the plug to shut down. The next time I booted, I got a black screen that said: Windows cannot startup \Windows\system32\config\system could not be found, or is corrupt. Use start up disc and press "r" to repair. I didn't know what to do once there, so I used Norton goback to restore to previous day. I have yet to look for the file you suggested to see, but I'm sure its there. Also what does MSASN1 integer overflow TCP mean? I have been getting a message from Norton saying there has been a blocked intruder attempt. This comes up regularly lately. Thanks for any additional help. Mark B

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi mark b
It would appear you are still infected and need to start there.
You can go here and download HJT. Instructions for use are on the same page. Do not use it to "fix" anything at the moment. Create a log and post it in the HJT forum so it can be gone through first. Include the description of your problem in the thread as well.
For the other portion "msasn1" of your question, see here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users