Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Few Problems Need Help If Possible

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Toyoden

Toyoden

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

G'day helpers, need more help, still waiting for HJT assistence.
Anyway, what's happening now is I get a lot of Program not responding errors, not just a lot a heck of a lot, have to close them down using Task Mgr, what could be causing this? I know some P2P are bad for Malware, MP3 Rocket won't open from desktop, no Limewire anymore :thumbsup: . Also I have del any and everything Norton from my system, yet I get an error message Symantec error32evnt1.dll virtual device driver is missing? what the heck is that? :inlove: , something else I have noticed whilst defragging, XP only seems to partially defrag, still heaps of fragmented files to be done. Is there a better,free :flowers: defrag program out there?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Running XP SP2 Home, AVG a/virus, Adaware, Spybot, EWido trial, and PC bug Dr, tried to fit the kitchen sink in as well but won't fit :trumpet:
Waz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

When you shut down your computer do you go thru the correct shut down or do you just shut off the power to it? If you jsut shut it down with out going thru the normal sht down procedure it will end up having a lot of fragmented files.

How did you delete every thing Norton from your system?

What defrag program are you using?

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:41 AM

for the unresponsive program, there could be another program running in the backgroudn using up all of your memory.

the norton problem is probably something left over trying to run, and it's unable to find any of the files. if you just deleted norton's physical files, and didn't stop any norton programs from trying to run, this is almost certaintly the case.

if you're using the Windows Disk Defragmenter, there's definately better programs out there for defrag your hard drive. I use O&O Defrag on my computer, there's a 30-day free trial available here.

Posted Image

#4 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for replies. would have to be pretty dumb or a complete novice, I am neither :thumbsup: .
I Deleted through Control Panel add remove etc, how I del any unwanted program, then I will go into Registry and check for anything that may be left over, then I go into Start-Run- type in the name of the program to make sure. Currently using XP defrag have no other defrag program, will try the one Prodigy mentioned :flowers: , thanks Thor and Prodigy, problem still remains for inability to open some programs even when allowed access thru Tools of the blocking software, and i checked system processes and nothing seems to be eating up my mem resources, CPU at 2% and mem is fine.
I mainly leave my PC on all the time, shut down when Upgrades for XP etc calls for it, on Broadband 256, some sneaky crap hiding behind the scene somewhere, one day the ppl that put Spyware Spam etc will get a life and use their intelligence for something creative instead of destructive.
Waz

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

Free scan (requires IE) at: Link deleted because I'm blind and didn't see the HJT reference in the initial post! Sorry! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 17 June 2006 - 08:58 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for replies. would have to be pretty dumb or a complete novice, I am neither :thumbsup: .

Well for one thing I do not believe anybody referred anything wrong to you and the above quote was a bit un-necessary.

My suggestion is since you have a HJT log posted is to wait until the log is diagnosed and the HJT person goes thru any or all of the fixes.

I do have one other suggestion and it is on leaving your computer running all of the time except when you are getting Windows Updates. Rebooting your computer once a month is not good practice, the longer the computer is left on the more it is to get sluggish and hot operate properly. Computers are made to be turned off and restarted and when this is done it returns the computer to its default settings which is a benefit.

#7 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

Bit touchy hey Thor? no offence meant, All in how one percieves something is put, your post was a bit condescending in my opinion. Have patiently been waiting for HJT reply, and if people can't ask a question without sounding likea know it all, then they should learn how to ask in a more humble way. ie, Toyoden, how do you close your system down? as this may effect your systems performance. easy compared to ( do you just shut off the power to it) remark, ahh how the way things are said and how they can be misinterpreted and lead to someone being offhanded, will leave this site me thinks, see if less touchy advisors are elsewhere, once again, Thanks Thor for some of the advice given in the past. God bless

#8 Toyoden

Toyoden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:54 AM

Ooops sorry usasma, thanks for the site, much apprecaited. Cheers

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

Being that you have made changes to your system please repost your HJT log when you are finished making changes and notify them that changes were made so they do not waste their time formulating a response for a system state that is no longer valid.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hi Toyoden!

I'm the Quality Assurance Team Leader at a tech support site on the web and have seen these sort of issues quite a bit. As such, I hope that this can help to straighten out any misunderstandings.

1) Semantics - each person views words differently than others. It's been my experience that the folks here at BC are sincerely trying to keep this place safe for users to visit. As such, they will attempt to fix things that may cause problems. Please don't take offense at what they say, they're just trying to do a job (and I support them in their efforts).

2) Next, I've studied the spyware fighting trade at SpyWareInfo (but didn't finish) - and I did learn that messing with your system while a HJT log was being procesed was asking for problems. You could force the spyware into mutating a new name or location - so the fix wouldn't work.

I'm a bit visually handicapped (hence my avatar) - and if I had seen the reference to the HJT log I wouldn't have contributed the link that I did. My apologies for that.

3) Everyone who's a regular here at BC is here because they're dedicated to helping others. Everyone that I know here has a heart of gold and only wants to help others. And that's a very, very rare thing on the web these days! I have been on the web since 1995 and haven't found a nicer place than this!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users