Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Xonar DS Sound Card Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

I just installed a Xonar DS sound card into my Windows 7 Ultimate PC with an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. It installed OK and appears in Device Manager with no exclamation mark next to it, but I don't get any sound when I plug my speakers into it.

In the troubleshooting section of the manual it says:

"Xonar DS card needs the power cable to supply addition power in additionto the basic PCI bus power. Double check you have plugged the small 4-pinpower plug onto Xonar DS power connector. If you did not plug the internalpower, Xonar DS Audio Center will remind you a warning message and willnot allow your operation when you double-click Xonar DS Audio Center iconin the system tray."

The card has a number of pins on the side, but I have no idea what type of power cable is required for it. Please could someone tell me what I need to power it so that it will work?

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hopefully this will help.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thanks, but that didn't help. There's nowhere to insert a floppy power connector. Here are the connectors on the card:

J2 - HD Front Panel

J4 - Aux In

J9 - SPDIF Out

J5 (Internal CD/DVD Audio Cable)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,601 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

There isn't another small white connector on the card? It could also be a 4 pin header. Is looks like it may be on the lower right of the card.  If not, then maybe the instructions are wrong and are for another Xonar card. I saw that the DX version of the card uses a floppy power cable. See this video 15 seconds in.

Here is a review of the card and I see no mention of a power cord. But, in the image notice the 3 pin header in the lower right of the image.

You may have better luck contacting ASUS support.

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

That video is for a different card. The card I have is the one reviewed in the other link you gave. I was able to attach an internal CD/DVD audio cable to the 3 pin header in the bottom right. Do you think that would work for power as well? The only thing it says next to it is "J5".

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,601 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

I just found this. Explains that there is no power connector for the DS and the user manual is wrong.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100413170520359&board_id=21&model=Xonar+DS&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

#7 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:15 AM

Thank you for the link. I'll contact Asus support to try to work out why it's not working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users