Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor on Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steveofpa

steveofpa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have been having this problem where my computer will start up, post the BIOS, and get past the windows loading screen, but at that point it goes to a black screen with nothing but my cursor. I cannot bring up task manager by pressing ctrl alt delete or ctrl shift esc. It's just a black screen except for my cursor which moves with mouse input. I've tried booting in safe-mode with the same results, as well as low-res mode from advanced boot settings, but no go.

In my research I have found that many people give up, wipe the drive, and start over with a fresh install of Windows. I am trying to avoid that because starting over, setting preferences, downloading all my programs, having to find files before the wipe, seem like more hassle than just fixing the problem.

So far, I've used Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 that I burned to a CD, and scanned for malware, but it didn't find anything to remove. Then, upon viewing a youtube video, I used the program's registry editor to see if the Winlogon Shell & Userinit entries had been altered. They hadn't and looked exactly as they should. I even ran the FRST program from command line using my Windows repair CD, but it didn't return any errors or malware either.

At this point, I'm kind of at a loss as to where to proceed from here. Any ideas?

Your response, and any suggestions, is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

Follow the tutorial below to create a bootable Windows 7 installation disc.

When you get to step 7b click on Command Prompt in the System Recovery Options.

When the Command Prompt open copy and paste or type the command below, then press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the links below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 steveofpa

steveofpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for your prompt response!

I entered the command in Windows repair disc environment, as instructed, and cmd returned the following:

Scanning all disks for windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

I failed to mention in my original post that I did run the automatic startup repair from my Win 7 repair disc, and I believe it did say it had fixed an error. But when I booted up after the repair, I was still getting the black screen with cursor. I had done the automatic repair before I tried all the other steps described in my original post.

For this manual cmd command that you suggested, I selected my drive with my bootable OS on it by typing 'e:' & enter, and then executed the bootrec /rebuildbcd command. I'm confused as to why it's saying total identified Windows installations is zero.

I restarted, letting my OS boot up, and still get the Windows logo, then the black screen with cursor. I tried repeating, and entering the command bootrec /rebuildbcd from the repair environment, but I'm still getting the message as described above.

Help please.

Thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

It is recognized a 0 (zero) because the numbers start a 0 and go up from there.  0 should be the drive with the operating system on it, this usually is the C: drive.

Please follow the instructions I provided.  Open the Command Prompt and type in or copy and then paste the command, nothing more, then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 steveofpa

steveofpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

Understood. So when cmd comes up, it shows x:\windows\system32> and I typed the command. I get the same results as when I select my OS drive and do it. The same text displays.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

The elevated command prompt should look like the image below.  This is where you should be entering the command.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#7 steveofpa

steveofpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

I entered the command in elevated command prompt, and get the same:

Scanning all disks for windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

Booted my OS, but still having same issue.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

Open the BIOS and see if the hdd is recognized.

#9 steveofpa

steveofpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

Yes, my drive is recognized in the BIOS. Just checked to be sure. I have it on Sata position 5, and I've set this drive to start first in my BIOS boot priority settings. Like I said, I have no problem getting to the Windows loading screen. It's when it's done with that, I get the black screen with cursor.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

at the beginning are you getting the message Press any key to boot from disc, or words to that effect?

#11 steveofpa

steveofpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

I do only if I select CD drive as 1st priority from my BIOS. Otherwise, when I boot with the target drive in 1st priority, what I get is the Windows Error Recovery screen where it asks if i want to "start windows normally." If I select that, it displays the Windows logo, and after that disappears, all I have is the black screen with cursor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users