Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stereo microphone recording as mono

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 riskay99

riskay99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:16 AM

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or knows how to fix this. My microphone is supposed to record in stereo and I can use the "listen to microphone" setting on my computer and hear it that way but when I go into audacity or any other recording programs I have on my computer it will record both channels of a stereo recording as if I'm recording with a mono microphone on both channels. If i use the Realtek sound card program and hit the "listen to microphone" button though I can hear the microphone in stereo but just not in other programs. I've tried altering all of the settings I can find but I cannot seem to stop this from happening. I'm sorry if my wording is kind of off I'm not 100% sure how to phrase parts of this. I'm not sure if this will help but I am using a 3dio free space and it connects through a standard Aux. cable. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:33 AM

Which microphone?

#3 riskay99

riskay99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

The microphone is a 3dio Free space standard model.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

Interesting mic, I've not seen that before.

Producing audio requires that you set up routing for recording. In Cubase the options are called VST connections, in Ableton the are simply called Audio. I don't know what they are called in Audacity.

You need to look specifically at whatever software you are using to record, then look at the options where you select your ASIO driver. The ASIO driver will select which lines go in and out of the application, and control the routing. Then on the virtual mixer you will need to select which channels to record.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 November 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#5 riskay99

riskay99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

I'm not completely sure if I did it right but when I select the input for my microphone and select for it to run as stereo it records both channels with the same recording instead of separate ones. Im not sure how to find the ASIO driver in the program though to be honest but I can see if i can locate it. 

edit: It looks like standard audacity may not have that option so I will test it using reaper

edit 2: After testing in reaper and downloading ASIO4all I was still having the problem. I was able to plug in my phone to the mic jack and play some audio which pans from left to right and the audio records as if it were mono. However when I went back to audacity I messed with a few functions again and I was able to get it to work after installing this and viewing the microphone as a line in.

Thank you for your help. :) 

Edited by riskay99, 22 November 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

I'm glad you sorted that. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users