Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suse

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 novototal

novototal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

I recently bought manuals and DVD to install suse linux 8.0, what about this version and how to upgrade to the most recent version of suse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi novototal and :welcome: to BC!

Can you check this article here, and then clarify - is that really v8 from 2002?

I know next to nothing (yet!) about RPM-based Distros (Suse, Fedora, Mandriva) only Debian-based (Ubuntu &c), but the Cavalry will no doubt be along soon.

You will need to flesh out some details about your system specs - see my profile (click picture) and my "signature" below as examples. Essential are CPU, RAM, Hard drive capacity,and GPU/Video Card, if applicable.

Maybe also read Kaosu, here.

Enjoy your journey

:wizardball: Wizard

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

:welcome: to BC

Ubuntu based distros are better IMHO

That copy is old.

Go here openSUSE.org Get latest suse. I have never used it so have no idea

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

Welcome to BC !

When you say you bought manuals and an old SUSE install CD....just curious as to how old the manuals are

and if they are outdated...old...what you paid for them.

Where in the world are you ? :)

Of course, NickAu1 is correct. Ubuntu is the best choice. It and its spinoffs offer several distros and desktops depending on your

decorating choices and your computer's resources. Almost something for everyone....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have had opensuse along with some ubuntu distros for the last month or so.  I've had a little more problems with the opensuse, but it is basically a good package.  You will want to download a new version from them.  Some of them are sort of large, so a download manager might be a good idea if you have trouble with big downloads.  I like the idea of selecting the desktop while you are installing, and you have others on the installation disk or flash drive.  After you download the iso, you will need to burn it with either an isoburner, or a program like unetbootin (I think that is it's name).  I have a whole bunch of blank dvd's, so I just use them, and xfburn.  If you only have windows on, you will need, I'm drawing a blank on that name.  Opensuse has a good forum there also, and you can get some additional information from there.  I have it both on a 64bit newer laptop, and an older used to be xp 32 bit desktop, with only 2 gb ram and 2.?ghz processor speed, and it seems to work fine.   I also advise trying it on a live disk or flash drive for awhile first, along with a couple others, like ubuntu or some derivitive, like mint.  There are also different desktops which makes a big difference on how it feels to you.  I know, too many choices, but go slow and don't get overwhelmed.  

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Where in the world are you ? :)

Same time zone as France, my sister lives there (give us a clue, novototal, lol)

Sold - after I reinstall my beloved Trusty Tahr (Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS for novototal's benefit), which got swallowed up into TimNet, I am going to try openSUSE and dip my toes in the RPM-based pool. After that, Puppy.

heyyou325 you have all winter for me to pick your brains about it (Suse), aren't you looking forward to that? :hysterical:

Good luck novototal - you have a wonderful voyage ahead.

And :welcome: to BC!

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

If you wish to stick with SUSE you could watch this.

Switching to openSUSE | Part 1

Switching to openSUSE | Part 2

Switching to openSUSE | Part 3

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

heyyou325 you have all winter for me to pick your brains about it (Suse)

Pick away, but I'm not too sure what I'll remember.  Actually ubuntu trusty tahr and opensuse (kde desktop, I think) feel quite similar to me.  It's sort of neat that you can pick your desktop (5 choices) when you install, but when you don't remember which one and you're trying to duplicate it on another computer it is a problem.  After I get my update problem fixed, I'm gonna try to reinstall on my desktop (32 bit) computer with kde.  I know for sure it isn't the lite, lxde desktop.  I like that one on some distros, but not so much on open suse, it's too lite.

And I forgot to say welcome novototal.  There are a lot of people here that really know their stuff, but I'm not really one of them.  When I post something wrong it gets corrected right away tho.  And don't give up on opensuse too soon.  But it's a free upgrade so you might as well.  I think it's a long term supported distro too.    There is a lot of info, and free manuals at these sites: http://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php     http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Documentation_List_of_Manuals          http://opensuse-guide.org/

Good luck

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:51 AM

novototal,  :welcome: to BC Forums & the Linux section!

If you are there, please come back. :)

There is no need to purchase manuals to openSuse nor those for many Linux distros, Nick posted a link to the site which not only includes download links, but also documentation, in addition to what heyyou325 has posted a link to. 

My limited experience with the OS was what was supposed to be a copy of the beta Google OS at the time, turned out it was a modified openSuse, and is probably not close to the real Google OS used in Chromebooks. Those links to beta test that in 2011 were obviously pranks. Because if the real deal was a clone of openSuse, we'd all know by now. 

If you happened to purchased this from an eBay seller, you have protection, and are likely eligible for a refund of your payment. Just let us know, and we'll instruct you as to what to do, or simply open a resolution case with eBay & PayPal, telling them you were ripped off. There are many eBay vendors selling LInux manuals & OS's, many of which are long outdated, which are free. 

The only time I recommend purchasing a Linux OS for a small fee, is if one has a data cap of 5GB or so (common with cell based ISP's). That is, if it can't be downloaded elsewhere, w/out having to use your bandwidth, and only if the version is a current LTS release. Such as the latest openSuse, or any of the Ubuntu variants based on version 14.04. This includes Linux Mint, any of those that ends in "buntu", and there's others. 

These days, most everyone should be able to access Internet from somewhere, even if it's the public library or a fast food establishment (or other business) that provides Internet access to customers. Use a download manager to get the fastest speeds, the Down Them All add-on on Firefox works well for free. 

Looking forward to your return.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:55 AM

Actually ubuntu trusty tahr and opensuse (kde desktop, I think) feel quite similar to me.

KDE is KDE regardless what distro its on.

http://youtu.be/-gLE0zgNWhs

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

My problem Nick, and I'm not asking for help.  I installed a build version of opensuse, thinking it was a regular one, on my 64 bit laptop.  I liked it and tried to get the same thing on my 32 bit desktop.  I've tried 3, or maybe 4 desktops, and can't seem to get it quite right.  Of course I have to take a few days trying it to see how I like the combo.  There are a few (4 I think) different desktops you can run on boot, default (not sure which one), LXDE (the first one I tried), open box (I personally don't care for), and Ice Weasel (I haven't tried yet).  Plus on install you can choose unity, mate, kde, gnome (this is what I'm thinking I want now thanks to your videos), and a couple others I can't remember now.  I was given directions using terminal from a kid experimenting with different versions like I am here where I live, that didn't work, form installing gnome.  I need to go back thru a list of commands for terminal.  I'm still not real comfortable using terminal.  I was mainly trying to encourage novototal and give him some insight, altho not a lot from me, into opensuse.  It does seem like a good system, but I'm not positive I will keep it yet.

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:04 AM

Looking forward to your return.  :)

+1 :thumbup2:

Could be on holidays? Some people don't take their puter with them

:notme: Who said that?

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:10 AM

I need to go back thru a list of commands for terminal.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_install

#14 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Nick.  Makes it easier, my bookmarks of computer things is about the length of 5 pages now, and I keep adding to it.  I keep saying I'm gonna take a couple of days and just straighten up this computer.

#15 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

don't alphabetize everything

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users