Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Backup Utility To Use?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

I am considering downloading the Mozbackup Utility,now that I am using FFox & TBird. But I would still need my Windows Backup utility for all my documents etc.
Wondering if anyone else has tried this or has any advise,as even tho it sounds good,am thinking I should keep things simple and just stick with the Windows Backup Utility.
TMacK
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

Unless you can see an advantage, simple is better.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:28 AM

I'd have to agree with acklan, I see no point in downloading something else when the in-built Windows Backup Utility is perfectly acceptable..
Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

I have read about users beating up MS backup, but no one really goes into why it is so bad. I find it a good meat and potatos program. No frills just the basics. In most cases that is all you need.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

Windows backup is fine for files and folders but that's the extent of it.
What Windows backup actually backs up is hard coded in the program and cannot be changed.
Some of the suff ommited are third party drivers, (example here) temp files, which may not sound like a big deal until you want to do something like an office repair and the files are no longer there. Any files not marked as readable are also skipped. There is also many documented issues with restoration as well. I'm not bashing MS, (though I have called them a few names in the past) but if you want a "complete" system backup, it ain't the way to go. :thumbsup:
Acronis is one of the better ones out there IMO.
Norton Ghost "was" good up to ver.8. After that, it went downhill.
Even Nero system backup works fine and creates bootable dvd's. Contrary to what some believe, it does backup the registry too.

Edited by HitSquad, 17 June 2006 - 08:33 AM.

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

Many Thanx for the replies!
Comes down to...if it ain't broke,don't fix it,right? Guess I will stay with the Micro$oft Backup Utility as its all I really need for a home PC.Perhaps put something like Nero on my wishlist. :thumbsup:
Appreciate your advise,I can always count on BC!
TMacK
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

There is no better reason in computers than "just because". If you want to try other programs that is great. It will give you a better understanding of the process and maybe benefit you also.

#8 Ken51

Ken51

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

I can see that the Windows back / restore utility is good for general fixes and such but what about when you have a complete system failure what good is it then? I think that it is always a good idea to have software that can create backups that you can load up onto another computer if needed. I use PC Backup by StompSoft ( http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/pc-backup.html ) to back up my files on my home network and to CD and have had the unfortunate opportunity to need these back-ups after a lighting strike. I would have been totally lost without a hard copy (CD) backup. I just think that having more than one type of backup utility is always a good thing :thumbsup:

Ken

#9 scan5

scan5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

FWIW, I've used STOMP "Backup my PC" (may be a Roxio product now??) in the past on ME. Worked fine, but I think it used MS Backup (ME edition) to actually do the backup. Note: one limitation of MS Backup is that you CANNOT read a pre-XP MS BAckup set using XP Backup. I recently got an external HD. It came with Retrospect Express. I've used that with good results so far. I like the fact that you can create a bootable recovery CD with it. Since I have XP HE, it seems I cannot use the MS Recovery tools (i.e. Console (except Backup)) - only available in XP Pro - at least from my reading...
Some Backup tools don't seem to be able to write directly to DVDs, so I am looking into Nero Ultra 7 for this capability. Haven't figured out how to do it with Retro Express yet.

YMMV,
scan5

Edited by scan5, 15 August 2006 - 08:10 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

SyncbackSE and Cobian Backup are good freeware file backup programs. You can specify exactly which files to backup - and can even save time by telling them to only backup changed files.

But, you don't even need a backup utility for this - the xcopy command with the right switches can be used to backup your data from a batch file. And, you can run the batch file through Task Scheduler so that it's automated.

Here's an example of the backup file that I use for my Firefox and Thunderbird (I use the Portable versions on a thumb drive) I named the file backup.bat and created it in Notepad.:
xcopy *.* c:\usb\*.* /d /y
xcopy PortableFirefox\*.* c:\usb\PortableFirefox\*.* /d /e /y
xcopy PortableThunderbird\*.* c:\usb\PortableThunderbird\*.* /d /e /y

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

Another great and interesting option usasma.

But, you don't even need a backup utility for this - the xcopy command with the right switches can be used to backup your data from a batch file. And, you can run the batch file through Task Scheduler so that it's automated.

Here's an example of the backup file that I use for my Firefox and Thunderbird (I use the Portable versions on a thumb drive) I named the file backup.bat and created it in Notepad.:

xcopy *.* c:\usb\*.* /d /y
xcopy PortableFirefox\*.* c:\usb\PortableFirefox\*.* /d /e /y
xcopy PortableThunderbird\*.* c:\usb\PortableThunderbird\*.* /d /e /y

However,it seems to me that this method would be great for use by experienced computer people, as I can't seem to wrap my head around these instructions! Not that they aren't written well,I just need it in a bit more elementary lingo...if you get my drift! :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users