Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop monitor says "no signal", but everything is plugged in correctly.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 computeridiot99

computeridiot99

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I cant get on my computer because the screen says "no signal".
I have already unplugged everything, reconnected everything, and restarted the computer. The computer isnt even a year old. It is a Gateway sx2110g-uw24 . It was working then all the sudden it wasn't. I might have pressed the buttons on the monitor, but I dont know for sure.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 November 2014 - 08:09 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 j4m3s

j4m3s

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Is there an "input" button on your monitor? You may have to switch it to the correct input source.

#3 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

I have 6 little buttons but none of are labeled. I only know which one the power is.

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Assuming you disconnected and reconnected everything on the monitor as well as the monitor connection to your Gateway tower?
When you boot your computer, do you see your num lock light turn on?

#5 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

Yes!! What does that mean? Please tell me it is an easy fix. . .

#6 j4m3s

j4m3s

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

Can you tell us what type of monitor you have (brand and model)? It's possible that you just switched the input source by accident and need to change it back.

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

How to Change Inputs on a Monitor

This article is a walkthrough on how to change input modes on a monitor. The exact sequence of buttons to use will vary based on manufacturer. Consult your monitor manual for device specific instructions.

Note: The words input, source, and mode are used interchangeably,

1. Input button on the monitor that cycles through inputs with each press:
This method involves pressing the input button on the monitor once to bring up the next input per monitor specifications. There are a few locations to look for the buttons. They can be on the front or side panel and are usually located towards the bottom of the monitor.
2. It is also possible that there will be no Source, Input or Mode button in the monitor and it will have to be done by pressing the Menu or Options button and navigating through the menus. Because this varies so much per monitor we recommend checking the included documentation for instructions.

If there is only one connection to the monitor, the computer should automatically detect the input and change it to the correct setting upon startup. If there is more than one connection being made to the monitor, it will usually select the best quality connection available.

- See more at: http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos/HOW8003832B.htm#sthash.2pc2YjtF.dpuf

As j4m3s shared, your monitor make and model can be searched for "button" descriptions if you do not have your manual 😄

The good news about your keyboard lighting up, your motherboard appears to be working.

#8 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

The model # is HX 1953L. Ill try searching online, but if either of your are already familiar with it and know exactly what to do, feel free. . .
And thank you both for your help, very much.

#9 j4m3s

j4m3s

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

Go to the Gateway website and get the "Quick Start Guide." This has a diagram showing what the buttons do.

After that, download the "User Guide." Page 8 shows how to adjust input after pressing the menu button.

Good luck.

Go to the Gateway website and get the "Quick Start Guide." This has a diagram showing what the buttons do.

After that, download the "User Guide." Page 8 shows how to adjust input after pressing the menu button.

Good luck.

Sorry, forgot to include the link:

http://panam.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?tab=4&modelId=4752

#10 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thank you for the link.

The manual says to press the input button and either dva or vgi will appear in the upper right hand of the screen, and it will show you which one you are connected to/through. (At least thats how I understand it).

When I do it, one flashes up and the next one immediately, then they both go away. Not sure what this means or what to do.

Up until this point the led light stays solid. After I do this, it blinks. I tried replacing the blue capped video cable with one I know functions, but that doesn't help. It has to be the input method, and I juat cant figure out the next step. . .

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Try the following. On page em-8 of the manual it shows the menu key. Select that. Then go to settings ( the picture of a wrench). Scroll down to reset and select that. This will reset the monitor to defaults and hopefully get a signal.

Have you tried another monitor? It could be the graphics card.

#12 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

I tried to reset it the way you said johnc_21. A blue box comes up that says "please wait" and then the setting box reopens. Eventually if I dont do anything the blue box that says "no signal" comes up.
However it is in vga mode. Not sure if that has anything to do with it

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

You are using a VGA input on the monitor, correct?

#14 computeridiot99

computeridiot99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

Yes

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

I would try a different monitor if you can.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users